3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 6:46 AM by Sean Mullane

can we show non existence data in line chart?

ravi.vankayala

hello,

Picture1.png

can we create the line chart like above ? my requirement is to show 3 quarters of data in that trend line.My issue is suppose if there is no data in 2 quarters

it shows only a dot instead of trend line.is there any way to show some default value 0,0 to create a trend line.? can we show value along with trendline

• 1. Re: can we show non existence data in line chart?
          Sean Mullane

Hi Ravi,

I'm not 100% sure what you're after, but I'll take a stab. I'm guessing your data source doesn't have entries for the missing quarters at all. This situation is shown in sheet1 of the attached workbook. So when your date type is discrete, you get the dots and empty columns. Notice that using the ZN() calculation doesn't help here.

Sheet2 shows what happens if you add in the dates that were missing to your data source and leave the measure column for those rows empty. The warning about null values appears in the viz, which allows you to set nulls to a default position (i.e. 0). Using ZN() in a calculated field does the same.

So based on sheet2, adding the missing dates to your data source with null values should allow you to get what you want.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: can we show non existence data in line chart?
            ravi.vankayala

thanks a lot for the reply.Is there any way to get that output without adding null values in datasource ? can we do any calculations in tableau end?

• 3. Re: can we show non existence data in line chart?
              Sean Mullane

I don't know how you could do it with a calculated field, since you basically need to add rows to the data set. One option may be to do a join or blend with another data set with just a date dimension including had all the dates you need (including all the ones you already have in your original date dimension) as members.