3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 4:28 PM by Vivian Liu

Creating maintenance / admin views on Server

Robin Kennedy

I have been following the KB article here regarding creating custom admin / usage views for Tableau Server - i.e. connecting to the postgreSQL db and running queries or connecting with Tableau desktop directly

The article mentions that you have to add the IP address of the machine that you are connecting from to the pg_hba.conf.templ file (i.e. I am connecting using Tableau from my laptop so need to add that IP) but I have NOT had to do this in certain circumstances, but still have to do it in others in order to access the postgreSQL db...

Is this a definite requirement? Is the article out of date? Can anyone explain why I'm getting different behaviors?

many thanks!

Robin.

• 1. Re: Creating maintenance / admin views on Server
          Russell Christopher

Hey Robin -

This is a requirement of PostgreSQL's - remote clients must be added to this sucker.

You mentioned you have not had to do this in certain circumstances - can you elaborate?

• 2. Re: Creating maintenance / admin views on Server
            Robin Kennedy

Thanks for your response, Russell.

I can connect using the username tableau with the password I specify when running the tabadmin dbpass command. I can connect using any machine connected to the internet anywhere

Having done some digging, looks like there is a line in the pg_hba.conf file saying

<% if AppConfig.pgsql.remote.enabled %>

host    all         tableau     0.0.0.0/0             md5

<% end %>

Which looks like is giving me the access using the password? I certainly don't remember adding that... is that standard in all server installs?

One other question whilst we're on the subject... if I upgrade my server, say from 7.0.9 to 7.0.12, will the contents of the pg_hba.conf file be reset?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Creating maintenance / admin views on Server
              Vivian Liu

I also wonder what the line "AppConfig.pgsql.remote.enabled" is for. I followed the KB to publish a workbook in Tableau server that accesses Tableau's PostgreSQL database. I shouldn't need to change the template because the server accesses the local database, but that didn't work. After changing the line above to:

<% if AppConfig.pgsql.remote.enabled %>

host    all         tableau     0.0.0.0/0             trust

<% end %>

My workbook works fine. Can anyone tell me what is the implication of changing this line from md5 to trust?

Thanks,

Vivian