2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2013 7:25 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Filter Action or Parameter in lieu of Global Filter on Multiple data connections

Daniel Vincent

I currently have 3 viz's on a dashboard sheet.  Each viz connects to a different (custom sql) connection.  I've been playing with filter actions and parameters but can't seem to get it to act the way I want.  I want to be able to filter (in this case on Site) for all 3 viz's. 

In general this is what the custom sql (albeit truncated) looks like:

Custom SQL 1 (connects to database 1)

select

distinct s.site as Site,

s.server_name as ServerName,

….

from SERVERS_TABLE s left join….

Custom SQL 2 (connects to database 2)

select

report_date,

factory_name as Site,

count(abc) as number

from table1

Custom SQL 3 (connects to database 1)

select

s.site,   

s.server_name, 

date_format(q.date, '%H') as hour,

from QUEUES_TABLE q join SERVERS_TABLE s on ….

I can not share the twbx due to the data being proprietary.  Appreciate any guidance.

• 1. Re: Filter Action or Parameter in lieu of Global Filter on Multiple data connections
          Daniel Vincent

Okay, so digging around I found an alternative to what I had thought would/should work but wasn't.  I know the first solution should work.  However, I don't have time to troubleshoot.  Maybe I'll go back to see what I may have missed or what was occurring.  But the parameter selection/site filter would not work on all three viz's.

My original solution called for this:

1. Create a Parameter based on site from database 1 and "Servers Table"
          2. Filter each worksheet on the parameter.  So I would have a condition formula which stated something like [parameters].[site]==[site]
          3. Then show the parameter controls as a filter in my dashboard with all three viz's.

Now the current solution is similar with one exception:

1. Create a Parameter based on site from database 1 and "Servers Table"
          2. Create a T/F calculation  [parameters].[site]==[site]
          3. Place calculation into Filter shelf then select "True"
          4. Then show the parameter controls as a filter in my dashboard with all three viz's.

The T/F calc works like a charm on all worksheets in the dashboard.  Just an alternative to what I originally was banging my head on. 

• 2. Re: Filter Action or Parameter in lieu of Global Filter on Multiple data connections
            Shawn Wallwork

Daniel in your first solution, in step 2 what sort of calculations was created from that formula? Obviously it wan't a Boolean, or it would have worked like your second solution. Was it a string?

--Shawn