10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 6:51 AM by Lee Murphy

Dowloading Workbook Error

Lee Murphy

Hi,

Has anyone had trouble downloading worbooks from server to desktop? I'm using version 7.0.7. When clicking download, I'm prompted with the File Download box (open, save, or cancel). I click save in order to store locally on my machine, but nothing ever happens. I've never had problems before and it appears that the problem is confined to this workbook.  I've asked others to also try downloading this specific workbook and they are unsuccessfull also.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Lee

• 1. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
          Joshua Milligan

Lee,

Does this happen only when you download from Desktop or also if you login to server and download from the web interface?

Can you view the workbook directly on server?

Joshua

• 2. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
            Lee Murphy

Hi Joshua,

It's only happening when I try to download from the web interface. Alternatively, I'm successfully able to open Tableau Desktop and choose the 'open from server' oprtion in order to open it in Desktop.

Yes, I can view the workbook directly on the server.

-Lee

• 3. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
              Joshua Milligan

Lee,

I'm trying to think of ways to isolate the problem.

What happens if you use Desktop to open it from server and then publish it back to Server? Would you still be unable to download it?  Or if you published it back under a different name, would you be able to download that one?

Joshua

• 4. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                Lee Murphy

Joshua,

I completed both of your suggestions but am still unable to download the workbook from server.  Oddly enough, it's only occurring with this particular workbook.  I've even had others try downloading and no success with them either.

Hmmmmm....

-Lee

• 5. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                  Toby Erkson

How is security set up?  There are two basic ways to check...

In the workbook select Server >> Publish Workbook... (don't worry, you can always click the Cancel button so you don't re-publish)  Click on a User/Group in the Permissions window and click the Edit... button to view the permissions.  Maybe the Download File permission was set to Deny?

On the Tableau Server go to the Workbooks display, select the box to the left of the workbook you are interested in and click the Permissions link at the top of the Workbooks display.

• Now, if you click on the Add/Edit Permissions link below the User/Group table you will see what the various permissions are for the roles.  You can't make changes here but if the workbook inherites permissions this will show you what is allowed or not.  I haven't checked the documentation but I believe that Inherited permissions over-rule the workbook-level permissions.  Please check and correct me if I'm wrong!
                  • If you click the edit link to the right of the User/Group in the table you can check and edit the permissions of the workbook.

Please keep us updated.

• 6. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                    Lee Murphy

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the response.  I failed to mention that I'm actually the system administrator so I have full rights/privileges to to everything on the server.  As mentioned before, it only seems to be happening with this particular workbook.

It's using a SQL Server data souce and is 457.3 MB. Could there be limits on the download size or potential bugs with downloading workbooks with SQL Server datasources...just brainstorming.

-Lee

• 7. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                      Toby Erkson

Okay, I'm stumped.  You may need to officially escalate this to Tableau Support.

Have you tried removing some of the worksheets to reduce the size of the workbook file and then checked whether you can download it?

• 8. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                        Lee Murphy

All,

I'm not exactly sure what changed but I am now able to open and save the workbook from server.  I did uninstall and then reinstall Desktop.  Maybe that eliminated the issue.

Thanks for all of your help.

-Lee

• 9. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                          Toby Erkson

Did you re-install the same version of Desktop or was the re-install a newer version?  What version of Desktop was [apparently] causing the issue?

• 10. Re: Dowloading Workbook Error
                            Lee Murphy

Toby,

Yes, I un-installed and re-installed the same version: Desktop v7.0.7.