4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 12:10 AM by Sohaib Nadeem

Javascript API support to what extent?

Balaji Durai

Hi,

My question is regarding javascript API's support in tableau. After going thru forums, I understand that javascript api is available and it is supported at visualization level (modifying the view) by getting login details etc from server side.

On similar front, I would like to know whether we can bring data from server side and do manipulation on that instead of data being brought from inside tableau? Could anyone help me on this or anyone who is trying a similar one kindly suggest.

regards,

Balaji.

• 1. Re: Javascript API support to what extent?
          Joshua Milligan

Balaji,

You are correct.  In the current version of Tableau, the JavaScript API is primarily used to embed and manipulate the embedded view (by filtering, refreshing, reverting, etc...).  You should be able to search and find kb articles and help for understanding the features and limitations.  For example, look here: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/v7.0/server/en-us/embed_api.htm

I'm not entirely certain what you mean in the second part of your question: "whether we can bring data from server side and do manipulation on that instead of data being brought from inside tableau?"  Depending on your data source, there are ways to either have Tableau update the data (using SQL pass through) or by using a URL action to call a web service or web application that will manipulate the data on the back end.  Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

One last thing to know, Tableau 8 will have a greatly expanded JavaScript API that will expose much more of the viz, event triggers, etc...  Some documentation is available through the beta program and I'm certain that complete documentation will be released when version 8 goes live.

• 2. Re: Javascript API support to what extent?
            Balaji Durai

Hi,

Thank you for your immediate response. I would like to claify the question. I meant like does tabuleau has any API for using payload from existing webservice. I got a response for my earlier question that it has a RESTful like webservice for OData.

regards,

Balaji D.

• 3. Re: Javascript API support to what extent?
              Nathan Krisanski

Version 8 will have an API set for creating native data connectors to ANY data source. So you could use them to program a connection to your webservices or to a rss feed or a wiki page or any type of data... very exciting.

• 4. Re: Javascript API support to what extent?
                Sohaib Nadeem

hi,

I also want to know something.
                I have a workbook published on the server by me and I want to generate its pdf or any other extension file like "myViz.pdf" then is it possible to use the Tableau Javascript APIs to generate a file?

Someone having any idea then do share please.