4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 11:55 AM by Hannah Staroselsky

How can i use a date range slicer and default to todays date?

Sarah G

I have my workbooks set up with a date range filter so that my users can choose the time frame they want to view. Problem is the date is defaulted to the date of my last publish. Is there a way to set this up so the date ranges default to todays date and the user can change from there?

• 1. Re: How can i use a date range slicer and default to todays date?
          Joshua Milligan

Sarah,

There are a couple of possibilities.  One is to use a relative date filter.  From there you can have it default to "today" or any relative length of time from today.

The other possibility, if you want a range slider is to select "Range of Dates" on the filter dialog and then select the last tab, "Special" and check "All Dates".  That will cause the slider to expand to include the entire time range in the data (including today, if it exists in the data).

Option 1: Relative Date:

Relative Date.PNG

Option 2: Special --> All Dates

date range (all dates).png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can i use a date range slicer and default to todays date?
            Sarah G

Thank you Joshua. This is close but not exactly what i need. Relative date will not work because the users do not have the flexibility to change the dates to any time frame needed. And using all dates will also get me to today's information however it goes all the way back to the beginning of the data set as well. I am looking for a default slicer with the range of 1/3/13 - 1/3/13 for example. Is this possible?

• 3. Re: How can i use a date range slicer and default to todays date?
              Rey Sanchez

Hi Sarah,

It sounds like parameters can be used to achieve functionality you describe. 3 parameters would be needed for this. 2 will specify range of dates to filter to. The other will control whether we are filtering using the date range or to Today. When published it can be defaulted to used to today then a user can select to use a range and change the values. I have attached a workbook using these parameters.

I hope this helps!

• 4. Re: How can i use a date range slicer and default to todays date?
                Hannah Staroselsky

Hi Rey,

It's a great solution, we do need this functionality for many reports. I used your workbook to create a similar option for our tableau report - works great on the desktop but when published there is no drop down menu for picking a date from the calendar. I even published your workbook - no drop down menu either.

Here are the snap shots:

ss1.png

ss2.JPG

This is my workbook:

ss3.JPG

Any ideas? Does it work for you on the server?

Thank you!