2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 9:04 AM by Mark Holtz

Applying date filters to specific worksheets on the same dashboard

Jason Back

Hi,

So I have a dashboard that has 4 worksheets that I want to consolidate filters around.

I would like to have a one month filter that controls worksheets 1&2 AND one month filter that controls worksheets 3&4. is that possible?

Also for work sheets 3&4, I am using multiple-select-list filter to show YTD growth.  Is there a way to have a month drop-down list that shows YTD?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jason

• 1. Re: Applying date filters to specific worksheets on the same dashboard
          Joshua Milligan

Jason,

The only way to do this currently is to have two separate data sources.  You can right click and duplicate your data connection in the data pane and then use one of them for sheets 1&2 and the other for 3&4.  The global filter is only at the scope of the connection.  There are definitely drawbacks to this approach.

The great news is that Tableau 8.0 will make what you want to do very easy!  You will be able to specify for which worksheets a quick filter applies.

• 2. Re: Applying date filters to specific worksheets on the same dashboard
            Mark Holtz

Just to give you another option--if you are OK with always forcing single-month selection, you could also accomplish the separate filtering by creating 2 parameters: Choose Month (1) and Choose Month (2)
            Have them both provide the 12 Month names as text selections.

Then, create a calculated field as Month1Filter as IF DATENAME('month',[DateField]) = [Choose Month (1)] THEN 'Show' ELSE 'Hide' END and put it on the views you want to be affected by the Choose Month (1) parameter.
            Repeat for second parameter.