4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 12:37 AM by Anika Nigam

Tableau keeps hanging when I try to import or connect live to multiple worksheets in excel workbook

ruth.wyer

HI,

I am new to tableau and am trying to connect multiple tables in an excel workbook.  Connecting live is too slow, so I have tried importing the data.  Problem is that even though one worksheet has only 1 column and 10 rows, and the other has only 47 columns and 300 rows, I get a dialogue box telling me that tableau is importing rows and it just keeps racking up numbers.  When I got to 5 million rows I gave up and tried to cancel.  Tableau then got stuck on a dialogue box saying it is cancelling.  After an hour of that I had to crash out of Tableau using task manager.  I have retried this trying to limit the number of columns I am importing but still keep getting the same problem, each time having to use Task Manager to close Tableau.  I have also tried different way of importing (i.e. importing using 'multiple tables' and also selecting 'single table' and then adding another table later).  Nothing seems to work.  Anyone had the same problem?

• 1. Re: Tableau keeps hanging when I try to import or connect live to multiple worksheets in excel workbook
          Joshua Milligan

Hi Ruth!

If I understand you, you have an Excel document with a couple of sheets.  One sheet has 1 column with 10 rows and another has 47 columns with 300 rows.  If you open it in Excel and scroll down, you don't see any other values, perhaps quite a few rows down?

It is odd that you would notice slow performance with this data in Tableau when connected live.  And extracting the data shouldn't be an issue either.  At most you should see 10 or 300 rows imported depending on which sheet you were connecting to.

Be aware that when you select "multiple tables" you are actually telling Tableau to join the tables together.  If there is not a one-to-one match in the join, you could get a multiplication of rows, but even that shouldn't give you the millions of records you're seeing.

So, I'm kind of at a loss as to what is going on.  Would it be possible to attach the excel sheet in a reply here in the forums?  If not, would you at least be able to take a screen shot of your connection dialog and let us take a look?

Hope to help soon,

Joshua

• 2. Re: Tableau keeps hanging when I try to import or connect live to multiple worksheets in excel workbook
            Alex Kerin

Yep, a screenshot of your Join dialog would be great. Do you need to join them? What data is on the two sheets and do you need them in one table?

• 3. Re: Tableau keeps hanging when I try to import or connect live to multiple worksheets in excel workbook
              ruth.wyer

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies. 

Joshua, Unfortunately, I can't attach the spreadsheet as it contains sensitive data. 

I suppose the problem is due to the fact that the larger sheet has no unique identifier.  Ideally, I would like to upload 3 sheets (but was just starting with one), all containing similiar data (scorecards for agents in a call centre).  As there are mulitple entries for each agent, there is no field that is unique but there are common fields such as 'agent', 'score' and 'month'.  Tableau doesn't seem to import without joining them so to get around this I had created a worksheet called month that just contained Jan -> Oct (hence the sheet with 1 column and 10 rows) as I thought a 'one to many' relationship might cause less problems.  I know Month is not ideal but it is the only field that has fixed values.   

Alex, I don't need to join them and don't need them in one table but I would basically like to query the data by returning all agents with scores of zero from each spreadsheet.

Does this sound possible?

• 4. Re: Tableau keeps hanging when I try to import or connect live to multiple worksheets in excel workbook
                Anika Nigam

Hey ,

I am working on multiple tables from msaccess using joins and related aspects but my problem is that whenever i try to drag and drop something ..tableau shows "executing query" and the time keeps on increasing and increasing...sometimes the time become 4.25 min that is seriously very much ...its not happening in single tables case but only in multiple table's case,this happens and every time.