4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2013 11:07 PM by Suhrid Ghosh

Multiple Label Values for a dimension

Rajendra Kodavati

Hi Experts,

In my dash board i have state(geo dimension),Revenue(measure),category(dimension).i have taken filled Map for the representation of State and colored using Revenue and i want to see all the product categories(not values only Labels) in each state .so i dragged categories into labels in the Marks card.Icould be able to see only one category though i have multiple categories in each state.

SO i have selected allow labels to overlap option, then i could be able to see overlaped labels which are not clear to read .Is there any way to arrange these label values to fit in the state filled map area.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajendra Kodavati.

• 1. Re: Multiple Label Values for a dimension
          Jonathan Drummey

In your original view as described, what's happening is that Tableau is drawing 144 marks, one for each combination of State and Category. For each state, the displayed sum of Sales on the choropleth map is for the first sorted mark, which is for the Furniture Category, so the amounts that you see are not the actual totals across all categories. Since each state has the same lat/long center point, all the labels are draw on top of one another.

One technique would be to do your own geocoding and generate your own locations for labels, and set up a dual-axis chart.

The alternative is to use table calcs, which are a general solution to problems where we want to have the data at one level of detail (State and Category) while the display is at another level of detail (State). A TOTAL(SUM([Sales])) table calc with Compute Using set to Category will generate a per-state total of sales. Generating the label takes a bit more work, I set up two calcs. One uses PREVIOUS_VALUE() - Tableau's one iterative function - to generate a label, then another calc uses a LOOKUP on the first calc to get the last label value for each state. The Compute Using for these is also set to Category.

Finally, I also added an instance of the Category Label on the Filters Shelf to Exclude Null values, this reduces the view back down to only displaying 48 marks, one for each state.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple Label Values for a dimension
            Suhrid Ghosh

Hello Jonathan,

I am facing a similar issue related to this. This is my scenario :

I have two tables :

TABLE 1 contains the following fields : MCC , MNC , Total Volume

TABLE 2 contains the following fields : MCC , MNC , Country , Network Name

Both of the tables are mapped with MCC and MNC fields to determine which Network under a particular country has how much volume usage.

Now i plotted a filled map on basis of Country and Total volume . It shows me Total Volume for each country. Now i want the following things to be done which i don't have any clue of doing since i am a beginner to this:

1. Show bar chart in tool tip showing the different Network Contribution of volume for that particular country when ever i click on any filled map location of a country. for eg :-

Network Contribution:

Fascel : |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  75 %

Airtel   : ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 25 %

2.  Show in tool tip normal text for different Network Contribution of volume for that particular country when ever i click on any filled map location of a country. for eg :-

Network Contribution :

Fascel : 70 M.B

Airtel : 30 M.B

Total Volume : 100 M.B

3. Add a filter action when ever on click on and filled map location of country , then one more dashboard should open showing the network contribution of volume towards the particular country in horizontal bar chart. But here the functionality of tool tip as mentioned in point 1 & 2 should not go away.

Will be very much helpful if u give your expertise assistance on this since this functionality is required on an urgent basis:

Thanks & Regards,

Suhrid Ghosh

• 3. Re: Multiple Label Values for a dimension
              Paramesh Sangangiri

Hi Suhrid,

Could you please attach the packaged workbook of the same so that I can work on it and attach the response back.

To achieve your first functionality I suggest you follow the following link.

Using Bar Charts in Tooltips | Tableau Software

Regards,

Paramesh

• 4. Re: Re: Multiple Label Values for a dimension
                Suhrid Ghosh

Hello Paramesh ,

Please find the sample attached workbook with all the data you required. And regarding the first functionality i had gone through this links on before hand but the problem in here is that i need to create %NetworkNameUsage calculated field which is not possible since there are 1000's of networks and i need not to create calculated field for each network manually.

Thanks & Regards,

Suhrid R. Ghosh