13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 4:36 AM by Vladimir Baranov

Unable to connect to tableau server

Vladimir Baranov

This error occurs only if I try to connect to server datasource from Tableau Desktop installed on the same server as Tableau Server. From remote Tableau Desktops I connect to the same server datasource normally. The second issue is impossibility to view any dashboard which uses server datasource via browser. Error is the same. I found two similar issues here but there are no answers.

i1.gif

i2.gif

• 1. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
          Russell Christopher

Hi Vladimir -

I'm not part of the support brain-trust here at Tableau, but these error messages appear to be telling us that Tableau Server Data Server simply isn't listening on the loopback/localhost address 127.0.0.1.

While Tableau Server's processes often DO listen on this IP address, they don't always. They actually can be configured to listen on any IP address.

Here a couple of thoughts, but I'd recommend you just open up a case with tech support:

• Don't refer to Tableau Server via IP address. Use the HOSTNAME of the machine itself and see if things resolve.
          • Browse (but don't edit) the workgroup.yml file found in \data\tabsvc\config. See if the worker processes are actually LISTENING on 127.0.0.1. Look at a few entries that end in ,host (especially vizqlserver.dataserver.connection.server) and look the IP address.
          • Check out this KB article http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/tableau-server-configuration
          • 2. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
            Vladimir Baranov

Hi Russell.

We have basic configuration. We've tried to use different addresses: 127.0.0.1, public ip address of the server, host name, dns name. The result was negative. In workgroup.yml 127.0.0.1 presents in all entries that end in *host.

• 3. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
              Vladimir Baranov

And about Tableau Support: we opened case last week, on Friday Tableau closed it because we shouldn't open it directly. Nice work! So we have opened issue almost one week.

We have Vertica DBMS too, we opened 4 cases this year and we got answers from support team from 5 minutes up to 9 minutes max. Tableau should study

Hello,

Your case #00197127 has been updated. The new comment is:

Thank you for contacting Tableau Support.   

As a client of XXXX, please direct all support
              requests to them as they are contractually obligated to provide first level
              support and will engage Tableau Support as needed. I have copied the XXXX technical point of contact, XXXX on this reply to inform them
              of your need.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Why do I see "Need more help? Contact Support" everywhere? If they close my cases and send me far away

• 4. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                Russell Christopher

I'm very sorry. It looks like we dropped the ball on your request. It sounds like you purchased Tableau from a Partner, in which case the Partner supplies support for you - we should have been able to see this and let you know more quickly.

I'm curious:

• Using the copy of Tableau Desktop installed on the server, are you able to connect to Tableau Server and open reports and/or publish a report to Tableau?
                • Using the copy of Tableau Desktop installed on the server, are you able to Publish a new Data Source which uses a Tableau Extract (not a direct connection to a database) to Tableau Server?
                • Please confirm that you have restarted Tableau Server in an effort to resolve the issue
                • 5. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                  Vladimir Baranov

Using the copy of Tableau Desktop installed on the server we can't connect to Tableau server (server datasources). We can only connect to external datasources. We can't do anything with server. Tableau Desktop installed on the server doesn't have connection to server. Of couse we have restarted server.

• 6. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                    Russell Christopher

To confirm:

• Using a copy of Desktop on a remote machine, you can connect to Tableau Server and publish and open reports from Desktop. You cannot open and/or use Data Server data sources.
                    • Using the local copy of Desktop on Server, you can't.

If this is the case, let's look at the ports and IP addresses Tableau Server is listening on. Please follow the steps in this article http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/resolving-port-conflicts and post the results here.

Question: Have you contacted the Partner/Reseller you purchased Tableau Server from to let them know there is a problem? They need to be brought into the loop.

• 7. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                      Vladimir Baranov

Port 80 is used by httpd.exe process.

Using a copy of Desktop on a remote machine, we can connect to Tableau Server and publish and open reports from Desktop. We can open and/or use Data Server data sources. We can't view workbooks published on server and used server datasources via browser.

Using the local copy of Desktop on Server, we can't do anything with server. Problems are the same I think.

Now we're waiting for reply from our first line suport. But you have holidays now and we don't hope for quick answer

• 8. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                        Russell Christopher

I agree. It appears to me that there is something on the server which is interfering with local interprocess communication (which is why Data Server data sources don't work, and why the local copy of Desktop is no good).

There are other ports and processes in play beyond 80 and httpd.exe. Being able to communicate with Apache (httpd.exe on port 80) is just the beginning.

Using netstat will help paint a more clear picture. I'm far from an expert at reading these things, but I think I should be able to spot something that is wrong. Please post the file that was generated, or you can email it directly to me at <first letter of my first name> + <my full last name> + <@tableausoftware.com>

Cheers!

• 10. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                          Russell Christopher

Vladimir -

Nothing jumps out for me here. Normally, it's pretty obvious when multiple processes are grabbing the same port. From what I see, each of the internal Tableau Server processes appear to be doing what they need to - nothing is "grabbing" a port that doesn't belong to it.

If you have some time to play with this, it might be interesting to follow the steps in the article I mentioned earlier in order to tell Tableau to stop listening on 127.0.0.1 and start listening on the boxes IP address. I'd only consider doing this if:

...and you'd want to do the "Additional Step" at the end of the article.

Just out of curiosity:

• Has this ever worked?
                          • Have you upgraded Tableau Server recently? From what build to what build?
                          • If so, what changes were made to the system (not just to Tableau - upgrades to virus protection, system monitoring software, firewall rules, etc.)
                          • 11. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                            Vladimir Baranov

Support resolved our issue very quickly.

The Internet Explorer version was very old. We have upgraded it to the latest version. Tableau Server uses the WININET component of Internet Explorer for connections and older versions cause such issues.

• 12. Re: Unable to connect to tableau server
                              Russell Christopher

Great news. Thanks for reporting back, too.