8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2012 9:41 AM by Jonathan Drummey Branched to a new discussion.

Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?

Avinash Patel

Hi All,

Please find the attached image below. My question is - Can we create graph in tableau similar to below graph ? my tableau version is 7.

multipleaxisgraph.png

The problem i analyze is we don't have multiple measure value card.

• 1. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
          Avinash Patel

If there is any work around please let me know.

Thanks,

Avi

• 2. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
            Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

This is possible (though not necessarily easy). Here are the general conditions I've identified when working in these cases, in rough order of complexity.

1. The view has grouped bars, the basic process for creating these is described in http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/grouped-bar-chart. This can be done entirely in Tableau.
            2. Multiple lines and bars on different axes in the same view. This requires some data reshaping.
            3. If the bars or lines are colored by discrete values (like a dimension), or one set of marks is discrete and the other can be created by Measure Values. If both sets of marks are composed of different measures then a different solution is required, in this case it's a lot of data reshaping.
            4. If there's a need for bars and/or lines to be on both axes simulaneously, for example if some bars are $$ and some are %, and the lines are $$ and/or %. This requires a massive amount of data reshaping.
            5. Depending on #3 & #4, grouped stacked bars can add complexity to the calculations used in the reshaping.

From your posted view, I'm not sure what would apply to you, particularly re: #3. Are the 4 measures displayed 4 separate measures in your data, are they different dimensions, or both? If this question is not clear to you, posting some sample data and even a packaged workbook with that data would be useful.

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
              Avinash Patel

Hi Jonathan,

In my requirement, i have 1 dimension and 4 measures. u can create the same by using tableau sample database.

for dimension u can take 'date' field and for measures u can take 'Sales','Profit','Sales % on total customer', and 'Profit % on Total customer'.

I have tried almost all the possible combination in tableau for this type of graph but no success. We are in requirement gathering facing and this requirement can from client. The above graph is given by client built on few 100 lines of data in excel. But when we will replicate same in tableau, if possible, we will be having around more than 10 millions rows. If this graph is not possible than probably will have to split the graph into 2.

- Avi

• 4. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
                Jonathan Drummey

Since you're talking about using the Tableau sample data, can you post a packaged workbook with your work so far? I'm not sure what you mean by "Sales % on Total Customer", or "Profit % on Total Customer", having a workbook would be helpful.

In terms of #s of rows, the way I'd see putting together this view would require doing some of the aggregation in SQL and (to make life easier) some in Tableau, it wouldn't add too many rows to the data source.

Jonathan

• 5. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
                  Avinash Patel

Hi Jonathan,

I have attached a sample twbx file.There are 3 sheets in the sample workbook. Sheet1 name 'Graph1' shows side by side graph. Sheet 2 name 'Graph2' have 2 line graph values are in percentage.

My requirement is to show both graph views into 1 graphs.

There is third sheet named 'Bar and Line graph' in which i was trying add line graph over side by side graph. Not able to get it. i am getting only points.

Hope it helps understanding my problem.

- Avi

• 6. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
                    Jonathan Drummey

Hello Avi,

See the attached. I believe the fully reshaped data & chart will meet your needs, it's possible that the slightly simpler techniques used in the partial reshaped data & chart worksheets will meet your needs.

Jonathan

• 7. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
                      Avinash Patel

Hi Jonathan,

Superb dude..!!! This is what i was looking for. But there is too much of a data reshaping involved.

In my case, this may not be possible because we are using MS SQL Server 2008 R2 as database(size is in TB). From DB, we are creating cubes and with the help of excel we are converting them into offline cubes(Local Cube).

When connecting to Local cube, we don't have much control over dimensions. Secondly, we can't use dimensions from more than 1 cube. Third is that, even if i use data reshaping in the SQL and then process the cube,  the size of the cube might increase which will increase the twbx file.

And why can't i have twbx file bigger in size because we want offline Tableau report which can sent over mail and can be viewed by the concern person in Tableau reader.

Anyway ways thanx again for ur help.

Thanks,

Avi

• 8. Re: Is Multi axis graph possible in Tableau ?
                        Jonathan Drummey

Hi Avi,

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of cubes, so I can't help you out there. However, Catherine Rivier just posted a fantastic workaround that doesn't require Custom SQL that might work for you, check it out at: http://community.tableau.com/thread/122431.

Jonathan