6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2018 11:49 AM by James Maloy

Number of Records does not exist

Eric Wilson

Suddenly I'm getting this. All I did was publish a report I was working on. How do I fix it? Now that this calculation is invalid, many of my reports are broken.

http://content.screencast.com/users/anon233/folders/Snagit/media/687c7d4c-3bea-433e-8dff-93f27df797e2/12.17.2012-10.39.55.png

• 1. Re: Number of Records does not exist
          Mark Holtz

Hi Eric,

Not sure how exactly that one would happen, as that measure is generated automatically by Tableau for any data set it pulls in.  It's simple enough--just a calculated field with a value of 1 in the formula box.

I think you can just create another calculated field and call it [Number of Records] and then right click the broken one and replace with your new one...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Number of Records does not exist
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Eric,

Typically this error is an indication that the underlying data source no longer matches the Dimensions or Measures previously connected to the extract. (see screenShot1.png as example of this error) The description of the column in the data source has changed for one reason or another. Please locate this change in the underlying data and correct via renaming the data in the data source or renaming the Dimension or Measure in Tableau Desktop. Once the change has been identified and corrected. Refresh the extract and the issue should be resolved.

If the above does not resolve the issue, as a first troubleshooting step, please create a backup copy of the workbook/extract and try completely removing and re-creating the extract. Here are the instructions to remove and recreate the extract file in 7.0:

1. Click on Data > [data source name] > Extract > Remove

2. Select "Remove and delete the extract file"

3. Click on Data > [data source name] > Extract Data

4. Click the Extract button

5. Choose a location to save the file.

If this does not resolve the issue, I would recommend sending in a support request to support@tableausoftware.com

-Tracy

• 3. Re: Number of Records does not exist
              Amy Lorenz

I used Mark's recommendation and it worked great for me.  This happened to me when I attempted to replace the datasource.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Number of Records does not exist
                Matt Lutton

I have just run into this issue, and neither solution works for me... very strange, I don't get it at all.

• 5. Re: Number of Records does not exist
                  ROGERIO FARIAS

How did you fix it?

• 6. Re: Number of Records does not exist
                    James Maloy

I ran into this problem also when switching between datasources. Neither of my datasources had extracts associated to them. I used the calc to fix my other calcs, thanks for posting. . .