2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 2:23 PM by Dustin Smith

Web publish with different access levels

Roy Roy

Hi,

I have made a report that I would like to publish to a large number of customers (who are, in my case, vendors).

This poses two problems:

1. I need a platform for publishing it to a large number of viewers (about 100)

2. I want each vendor (the viewers) to be able to see only his own data. There is an attribute field in the data that contains the vendor ID, and I want the data he can get to be filtered by this attribute to his own vendor ID.

The idea is not to buy 100 licences but to have a web interface that can be viewed by them, filtered according to their vendor ID.

Another thing is that I want the query to be executed in real-time from the database.

I have heard there's a product called Tableau Public Premium that can be useful to my purpose.

Any suggestion would be welcomed

Roy

• 1. Re: Web publish with different access levels
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Roy,

Tableau Public Premium gives you the ability to publish views to the public web. However, you are not able to control who sees what views--there are no permissioning features. Tableau Server would be a better option here--use filters or individual permissions can be set.

For more information on Tableau Public Premium: http://www.tableausoftware.com/products/public#tableau-public-premium

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Web publish with different access levels
            Dustin Smith

Hi Roy,

Given your requirements, Tableau Server sounds like the best option here.  The two critical parts that make Tableau Public Premium probably not a good fit are:

1.  Limited audience to only vendors

2.  Live real-time data connection

Public Premium allows for you to secure the data behind a view (remove the download button - example), but the visualization is still wide open for anyone to see.  There is no concept of logins or authentication for viewers so it's not a good solution for sharing proprietary or confidential data.

Public Premium also does not have a live data connect capability - in memory extracts only.  The nice thing about this though is that since updating extracts in Tableau is a 3 click process, many Public Premium users find that even if their data is updating everyday, manually refreshing their extracts and republishing to their  account has a minimal impact on their day.

Hope this helps.  Happy to answer anymore questions.

Best,

Dustin