2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 5:39 PM by Toby Erkson

Who is using Content Administrators?  How are you using them?

Toby Erkson

Just like the title asks, why have you set them up and how are they used?  Looking for other folk's input.

We have a small group of server users (core-based) so I don't think we need it but being inexperienced with server maybe it's something I should have -- right now Tableau Server consumes, at most, 4 minutes of my time during a 40-hour work week.

• 1. Re: Who is using Content Administrators?  How are you using them?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Toby,

It kind of depends on whether you are using a single-site or multi-site system. In a single-site system the "Content Administrator Privileges" allows Content Administrators the option to add and remove users in addition to their other privileges. In a multi-site system, this functionality is disabled and only system administrators can add and remove users.

The logic behind this setup is that, on a multi-site system, a particular user can belong to multiple sites, with different user rights and license levels on each site.  This setup makes the user list a list with system-wide application rather than a list that effects only a particular site.   Anything system-wide is controlled by the system administrator, while content administrators are tied to a particular site.  Content administrators in multi-site systems can still manage groups, projects, workbooks, and data connections within their site.

If a particular user needs the privileges to add or remove users, this user can be made a system administrator.  There is currently no way to allow a content administrator to add or remove users on a multi-site system.

Hopefully this provides some insight for you!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Who is using Content Administrators?  How are you using them?
            Toby Erkson

Ok Tracy, let me make sure I understand this...

The only time a Content Admin cannot work with Users (Add/Delete/Edit) is when Tableau Server becomes multi-site (more than one Site), correct?