9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 11:18 AM by Shawn Wallwork

How to move a mark for country location

PATRICK GELLENS

Hello,

I did some work on Euopeans countries.

As Russia mark is very far East, I would like to move the mark west to get a bigger map.

Is there a way to give lattitude and longitude information to ove this mark. But in this case I won't be able to use the filled map for other maps.

Hope somebody could help me on this problem. Thank you.

Here is the link of my work:

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/ChampionnatsEuropeJuniorsAthltisme/Sheet1?:embed=y

By the way I have hard time to center my map in the middle of the window. I didn't find the way to move the map.

• 1. Re: How to move a mark for country location
          Shawn Wallwork

Patrick, I moved Russian pie over on top of Moscow, seemed like the right place for it. Here are the steps I used to do this:

1. Put all the data that you want to export on the map (I took all the filters off).
          2. Rt-click the map, click View Data, highlight all the data, click copy.
          3. Paste into Excel
          4. Delete the '(generated)' from the Latitude & Longitude fields (IMPORTANT!)
          5. Filter on Russia, change the lat/long to the new values you want.
          6. Save, and then connect to this sheet in Tableau
          7. Use the non-generated Lat/long to build your viz. (See attached.)

Now if Tableau allowed us to use the generated lat/longs in a calculated field we could dispense with all this and just write this:

Lat Calc:

IF [PAYS]='Russia' THEN 55.72 ELSE [Latitude (generated)] END

Long Calc:

IF [PAYS]='Russia' THEN 37.6 ELSE [Longitude (generated)] END

If you post the Idea, I'll vote for it. Maybe it'll make 9.0.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: How to move a mark for country location
            PATRICK GELLENS

Thank you very much Shawn. This is very helpful for me.

But I don't understand the last part when you say we can put:

Lat Calc:

IF [PAYS]='Russia' THEN 55.72 ELSE [Latitude (generated)] END

Long Calc:

IF [PAYS]='Russia' THEN 37.6 ELSE [Longitude (generated)] END

Where do you want me to put these lines? In which column?

My first Excel map has only country field.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: How to move a mark for country location
              Shawn Wallwork

Patrick, sorry about confusing you. That last part was intended for the Tableau folks. Currently you can't use the generated lat/longs in a calculated field, so that bit can't be done. Hopefully someday that will change. In the meantime, just do the 1-7 steps, and you'll get what you need without too much work. Ignore the rest.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: How to move a mark for country location
                PATRICK GELLENS

Thank you again Shawn.

I am near to finalize my work but I still have some problems to be be perfect (if we can be perfect)

I understand that global filter change all pages but I would like to use global filter only for one page or even 2 graphics out of 3 on  the same page if it's possible.

For example:

• I would like to keep country filter to change only the upper right graphic

• I would like to use year filter to display the map for this year and the bottom graph without changing the upper graphic
                • When I chosse all the years I have display mistakes because I have differents lines for each country instead of having the total of medals for each country through every years ( I don't have the same nubmer of lines for France and Russia for example though France and Russia had medals in all competitions)
                • I understand that if I choose tu use filter in the graphic like clicking on the country could show the country datas but could it be possible to change the map with only the marks on this country.
                • I noticed that we need to click on the upper left column of the datas to recover the full display of every countries.
                • Finally how can I center the map on the midle of the box to see every countries (I move Finland, Sweden, and Turkey the same way as you told me for Russia)

That makes a lot of question. i hope you will be able to answer.

Thank you in advance

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/CH/CHAMPIONNATSEUROPEJUNIORSATHLETISME/Tableaudebord1/1.png

• 5. Re: How to move a mark for country location
                  Shawn Wallwork

I'm not sure I completely understand everything on your list, but this is definitely doable:

I understand that global filter change all pages but I would like to use global filter only for one page or even 2 graphics out of 3 on  the same page if it's possible.

Global filter effect all worksheets using that particular data source. So if you right-click the data source and then click 'Duplicate'. You'll have two identical data sources that you can use to create different worksheets. So sheet1 and sheet2 could use the first data source and sheet3 could use the duplicate. Be careful not to do an accidental join by mixing fields from different data sources. Why don't you give that a try, see what you can eliminate from your list, then post back if this doesn't solve all your problems.

Definitely not ready to give up on perfection yet!

--Shawn

• 6. Re: How to move a mark for country location
                    PATRICK GELLENS

Thank You Shawn.

It semes it's working even if this message. But it's not too slow.

But my main problem us to center the map on my dashboard3 when people arrive on my page. On my screen in Tableau sofware, the map is ok , we see all countries I want. But when it's on the web, we are focus on the north west part of atlantic ocean and we must use scrollers to center the map.

How can I change this?

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/CH/CHAMPIONNATSEUROPEJUNIORSATHLETISME/Tableaudebord3/1.png

Have a nice week-end

• 7. Re: How to move a mark for country location
                      Shawn Wallwork

Hi Patrick,

So when you include a map in a 7.0 viz it really works out best to set the dashboard size to 'exact.' That way you can sort of 'lock' in the size of the map and avoid the dreaded scroll bars. Since your iPad size wasn't going to work anyway:

Patrick-1.PNG

(far too many scroll bars) I chose the max resolution. See attached.

The way you get rid of the scroll bars on the map is to go to the sheet and make the map quite a bit smaller, then come back to the dashboard.

Patrick-2.PNG

Now you size it back up to fit the container. You have to do this by hand since fit for maps is grayed out. If you go too far the scroll bars will pop up.

Once it's the right size, and you have the dashboard set to 'exact' you map will display correctly for all monitors. On monitors smaller than your 1440 x 900 dashboard size they will get one large set of scroll bars for the entire viz, instead of all the little ones. Hope this makes sense.

Oh and I dropped a 'blank' into that empty container you had so we get rid of that 'Drop Sheet Here':

• 8. Re: How to move a mark for country location
                        PATRICK GELLENS

First of all, I would like to thank you very much. It's very kind of you to last so much time to answer to my questions.

The last file you sent me had only worksheets and no dashboard as you copy in your message. but it's ok, I think I made the right job as you can see under.

Your help me a lot.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/CH/CHAMPIONNATSEUROPEJUNIORSATHLETISME2003-2011/MEDAILLESPAYS/1.png

I have another problem on the dashbord under.

One map is done with the french regions that exist in France. But the problem is that I try do make a job on track and field regions which are slighthly different from the administrative french regions.

Actually the REGION "Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur" is divided in the 2 athletics regions: "Provence" and "Cote d'Azur"

I made a full map with colors for all those 23 those regions and it works. But my datas are based on lattitude and longitude generated and I can't get filled map for those 2 extras regions.

Is there a way to connect datas together so I would be able to first map complete ?

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/po/polygonetry/map2/1.png

Hope can still help me on this problem.

Have a nice day !

• 9. Re: How to move a mark for country location
                          Shawn Wallwork

Patrick, that was weird. I must have attached the wrong workbook. Glad you figured it out anyway. I just check your viz and in my browser it displayed nicely. (Chrome @ 1920 x 1080).

As to your second question, yes you can do this but you're entering a whole other level of complexity. You'll need to find/create a set of custom polygons (shapes) and then bring them into Tableau. Or you could get Ian at Urban Mapping to create a custom layer for you.

If you decide to do it yourself your quest should start here:

http://community.tableau.com/thread/116369

Good Luck,

--Shawn