7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 8:13 AM by Andy Piper

Add unused dimension in a legend

Samuel Jobin

Hey guys

I built a text-table workbook with all our sales, and different filters for the dates, rep and clients, so one user can filter everything instead of going through a maze of lines.  I would like to add a couple of information that are currently stored in unused dimensions (rep's territory for instance) in the dashboard.  Since there's no easy way to do this (at least, that I know off), I thought of add all this in the legend field, where I could as well do some formatting.  But it looks like I cannot add data that is unused.  Any way to achieve that?

Thanks

sam

• 1. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
          Andy Piper

Sam,

Would placing this extra information inside a Tooltip work? This way when someone hovers over the data point, he/she would be able to see the extra info.

Regards,

Andy

• 2. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
            Samuel Jobin

I thought about it, but since those information would be related to the selected filter and not a specific data point, it would make more sense to display those info from the get go.  Like a small context window in the dashboard so the users know the context of the view...

• 3. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
              Andy Piper

Sam,

Could you post a packaged workbook that contains what you're working with (or at least a close approximation of it with one of the sample data sets that comes with Tableau)? This way we have a better understanding of what you have, how you have things configured, and what you want to do with it.

Thanks,

Andy

• 4. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
                Samuel Jobin

I'm behind so many firewalls that it seems impossible to post a tableau, but I did a small mockup:

mockup2.png

So currently, I have the green part in a worksheet, where you see the items, the weeks and the sales.  The blue part are my filter.  So when the user access the dashboard, he selects his name and filter the dates. 

What I would like to do is add the yellow part.  So in the dashboard, once the filter are selected, he would see his rank, his given territory and his goal (later on, I would like to be able to put a kind of visual indicator if his near his goal or not, but that's another topic I guess!)  

So, the goal, rank and so on are dimensions on my shelf right now.  I thought that the best way to be able to show them would be in a legend, since I could format the lines to my liking.  But I cannot add them.

I tried to add those dimension in the "detail" so they would be used somewhere.  When I do that, I can add them in my legend, but I get "null" instead of the content of the dimension, like if the filter wasn't applied to them... :S

sam

• 5. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
                  Andy Piper

Sam,

I think your best bet will be to have at least 2 worksheets on your dashboard to house this information (one for the sales and another for the detailed information). I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish what you want, but here are two options to consider:  Parameters and the use of a third worksheet as a filter.

If your filter is set up as a parameter instead of a quick filter, you could select BOB and then have a second workbook (also on the dashboard) display BOB's detailed information.

If you don't want to use parameters, another option is creating a separate worksheet that has just the Rep names in them (place the Rep Name field within the Text shelf of a new worksheet). You will still need a separate workbook for the detail information about the territory, goal, etc. Ensure that this same Rep Name field is located on each of your three worksheets (sales, detail, and rep names). Place all three on a dashboard. Set up an action such that when a rep name is selected within the Rep Name table, it passes the Rep Name field value to the other worksheets.

If you need guidance with trying out parameters or actions, let us know.

Andy

• 6. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
                    Samuel Jobin

Hey Andy

Thanks for the answer.  I was really hoping for something "built-in" within tableau; seems to me that I'm not the only one looking for such std features!   I created different worksheet with all the info.  How do you manage dates with that concept?

sam

• 7. Re: Add unused dimension in a legend
                      Andy Piper

You could consider a global filter on dates or an action on dates that would apply to those worksheets that require date information.

As an FYI, in version 8 you would still need two tables (one for Sales and one for Details), however, you can set up the filter so that it applies to both tables and not just one. You will also have the ability to float objects, so you could place the Detail table within a blank section of your Sales table or anywhere else on the dashboard.