4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 10:30 AM by Tim Dines

Dual Axis Map With Actions

Tiffany Harper

Hello All,

I have a list of stores and a list of zip codes where the stores ship to customers. I've created a dual axis map with customer zip codes as a filled map, and stores as circles. The purpose of this report is to show where multiple stores ship to the same zip code. For quite a while I've been trying to get the map to allow me to execute the following 2 actions:

1. If I click on a zip code, then that zip code is highlighted and the servicing stores for that zip code are highlighted

(e.g. in the attached example, if I click on zip code 38344, then that zip code is highlighted and Nashville and Memphis stores are highllighted)

2. If I click on multiple stores, then those stores are highlighted and the zip codes serviced by all the selected stores are highlighted

(e.g. in the attached example, if I click on Nashville and Memphis stores (holding Ctrl to select both circles), then those 2 circles are highlighted and zip codes 38344, 38311, and 38321 are highlighted)

Any guidance on this question is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tiffany

• 1. Re: Dual Axis Map With Actions
          Andy Piper

Tiffany,

I've been using maps for quite a while and have not found a way to create an action within a map whereby the selection on one axis filters items on the second axis. This ability does not seem to be in Tableau 8 either. If you find a way, please share. If you don't find an answer, please submit on the Ideas forum.

What I tend to do in these cases is use a parameter. The user would select the store (Nashville, Memphis, Clarksville or All). If All, everything appears on the map; but if a store is selected, the map is filtered to display both the store and zip code areas the store services (see attached).

Hope this helps,

Andy Piper

• 2. Re: Dual Axis Map With Actions
            Joshua Kitz

You can create a somewhat clunky work-around. You need to set up two action sheets and it takes two clicks to get your selection.

See attached workbook:

Your #1 - A) click one or more zipcodes on the map (Ctrl key for multiple selections). This filters the Zip Action sheet

B) click the remaing zipcodes in the Zip Action sheet to highlight the map

Your #2 - A) Click on or more stores on the map (Ctrl key for multiple selections). This filters the Store Action sheet.

B) click the remaing Stores in the Store Action sheet to highlight the map

Setting up the workbook:

(When I say Zip use Customer_Zip_Zip1 - this is the field you used on the map)

Sheets

1. Create a new sheet with Stores on the Colum and Zip in the text - Store Action Sheet

2. Create a new sheet with Zip on the Column and Store as the text - Zip Action Sheet

3. Place the three sheets on a dashboard.

Actions

4. Create a filter action from the Map to  the Store sheet (on the Store field) using select

5. Create a filter action from the Maop to  the Zip sheet (on the Zip field) using select

6. Create a highlight action from the Store sheet to the Map (all fields) using select

7. Create a highlight action from the Zip sheet to the Map (all fields) using select

Hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Dual Axis Map With Actions
              marc de Latour

This is needs to be put in the ideas.  it should be possible to select that area and select all data contained in that region/zip.  so if there are overlayed dots they too persist +1

• 4. Re: Dual Axis Map With Actions
                Tim Dines

Do the stores have a geographic range/region that they cover?

Take a look at the link here.  If this has ideas that can help you, then download the workbook.

Tableau Public