I've been using maps for quite a while and have not found a way to create an action within a map whereby the selection on one axis filters items on the second axis. This ability does not seem to be in Tableau 8 either. If you find a way, please share. If you don't find an answer, please submit on the Ideas forum.
What I tend to do in these cases is use a parameter. The user would select the store (Nashville, Memphis, Clarksville or All). If All, everything appears on the map; but if a store is selected, the map is filtered to display both the store and zip code areas the store services (see attached).
Hope this helps,
Map with Parameter.twbx.zip 33.0 KB
You can create a somewhat clunky work-around. You need to set up two action sheets and it takes two clicks to get your selection.
See attached workbook:
Your #1 - A) click one or more zipcodes on the map (Ctrl key for multiple selections). This filters the Zip Action sheet
B) click the remaing zipcodes in the Zip Action sheet to highlight the map
Your #2 - A) Click on or more stores on the map (Ctrl key for multiple selections). This filters the Store Action sheet.
B) click the remaing Stores in the Store Action sheet to highlight the map
Setting up the workbook:
(When I say Zip use Customer_Zip_Zip1 - this is the field you used on the map)
1. Create a new sheet with Stores on the Colum and Zip in the text - Store Action Sheet
2. Create a new sheet with Zip on the Column and Store as the text - Zip Action Sheet
3. Place the three sheets on a dashboard.
4. Create a filter action from the Map to the Store sheet (on the Store field) using select
5. Create a filter action from the Maop to the Zip sheet (on the Zip field) using select
6. Create a highlight action from the Store sheet to the Map (all fields) using select
7. Create a highlight action from the Zip sheet to the Map (all fields) using select
Hope that helps.
This is needs to be put in the ideas. it should be possible to select that area and select all data contained in that region/zip. so if there are overlayed dots they too persist +1