1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 11:06 AM by David Andrade

Session Ended by Server / Session Time Limit Exceeded

David Andrade

I had a workbook on the server, but the view and data it was using migrated to a new SQL Server Database, so I updated this in Tableau without any problems and published to server. When trying to open the landing page (1st of 3 dashboards) I receive the following message:

Session Ended by Server

An unexpected error occurred on the server. If you continue to receive this error please contact your Tableau Server Administrator. "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source." Would you like to reset the view? (Yes/No)

When trying to open the 2nd and 3rd dashboards, I receive the following message:

Session Time Limit Exceeded

Computing the current visualization has exceeded the session time limit. Use the back button to return to a valid view.

Any idea on what the problem may be and how I can get this working? I'm using a reporting user and embedding the password when publishing. The reporting user has read-only access to the DB and I don't think this would be part of the problem.

• 1. Re: Session Ended by Server / Session Time Limit Exceeded
          David Andrade

I found the answer to my own question. This error message resulted from the date metric not being lined up between the date type in my filter section and the date type on my column section. On filter it was Exact and on the columns it was Week. I am showing a time series of how a metric performs over time, the data comes in every Friday but a few of the data points are on a different day of the week causing some spikes in the time series. Apparently, with the way my data is set up, I'm not able to publish to server successfully if date types are not uniform throughout my dashboard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful