4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 11:43 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Adding text to lables

Hilary Knights

How do you add a text comment to a label. Example I am building a view where the label is the table calculation % difference from previous, but the bars are the actual sum of profit values. I don't want users to mistake the label on the bar to represent the bar value.

• 1. Re: Adding text to lables
          Andy Piper

Hilary,

I can think of two ways you could accomplish this:  tooltip and annotation.

You could use a tooltip -- modify the existing tooltip to include the text comment you wish to add about the labels. If the comment would be different per label, the tooltip can be created to update dynamically, but that takes some effort. This method conceals the comment until the user hovers over the bar.

You could also annotate the mark. To do this, right click on the bar containing the label you wish to comment and choose Annotate - Mark. You can now type in a comment about that label and position it appropriately. This method makes the comment always visible.

See the attached workbook for an example of each.

Hope this helps,

Andy Piper

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding text to lables
            Shawn Wallwork

Andy posted some good solutions. But if 'clarity' is your goal, why not put both the % and the $ labels on the bar. (See attached.)

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adding text to lables
              Hilary Knights

Thanks Shawn, I'm assuming this is the same logic that Tableau uses for the multiple labels option in Tableau 8?

This was very helpful. I think I'm going to use both until 8 is released.

• 4. Re: Adding text to lables
                Shawn Wallwork

Actually in 8 it's a lot easier, you just drop as many measures as you want on the label shelf and they appear on the marks, all nicely formatted (if memory serves). None of the rounding-stringing-lookupy stuff.

--Shawn