9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2012 10:25 AM by Yuri Fal

Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view

Egor Ushakov

In MySQL database there is a table that keeps history of users logging in and out. This table has a column `result` which can have three values - 'Success', 'Failed', 'Logout'. I build a simple table view that displays amount of unique dates users logged into the system. But when I try to add a `result` dimension to Filters shelf to filter only days with successful logins the view is completely erased. I.e. there's NO any tables on the screen besides the shelves itself (see screenshots in attachments).

What's wrong with that?

• 1. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
          Andy Piper

Egor,

It's hard to determine without seeing the workbook. If you place the 'result' field on the Rows shelf after 'last_name' what values appear for the 'result'? If you do not see "Success", then the filter is behaving properly.

If "Success" does appear within the list of results, could you provide a packaged workbook that displays this problem? This way folks will have an ability to study how things are configured and provide a more targeted response.

Regards,

Andy Piper

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
            Egor Ushakov

I tried to place `result` on Rows shelf and it was displayed on the view. Workbook in attachment if it helps.

P.S. Can it be a technical problem connected with using Tableau Desktop on VirtualBox-based Windows XP machine on Mac?

• 3. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
              Andy Piper

Egor,

Perhaps the machine configuration is an issue -- I don't have the ability to test that as my company does not use Macs. I do know that what you're trying to accomplish works for me on my Windows 7 PC with Tableau 7.0.9.

Andy

Status filter.gif

• 4. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
                Egor Ushakov

Thank you, Andi, for your help!

• 5. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
                  Yuri Fal

Egor,

Looks like everything is OK when using an extract.

I can see it when I open your packaged workbook.

Is it correct that you have the "zero rows, empty view"

when you connect _live_ to MySQL database?

What is the character set / collation of your table?

Suspect it is something like utf8 / utf8_general_ci.

Then you're "lucky" catching a buggy behaviour

of MySQL ODBC 3.51 driver with utf8 datasets.

I got the same (bad) experience trying to marry

Tableau with Infobright & Cyrillic language data.

No luck so far.

Hopefully waiting for the next Tableau release,

which could use MySQL ODBC 5.x driver instead.

Good luck,

Yuri.

• 6. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
                    Egor Ushakov

You're completely right.

1. When I tried to connect to data with live connection the view was erased.
                    2. All tables in my database are ut8_general_ci
                    3. As for driver I firstly installed original driver from MySQL web site. And could NOT connect to database at all. After that I asked support for help and they advised me to download and install driver from http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/drivers . After installing the driver I started to connect to database. At the moment I have two MySQL drivers installed (see screenshot)

mysql_drivers.png

So, you mean that there are no any chances to get working Tableau with MySQL UTF8 tables at the present time, right?

• 7. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
                      Yuri Fal

Hi Egor,

For "native" MySQL connection Tableau is using 32-bit ODBC 3.51 driver.

And I don't think they will change it to 5.x version soon :-(

So your current combination (Tableau + MySQL ODBC 3.51  + utf8) doesn't work.

Hint: if you're using MyISAM or InnoDB engine as a backend,

you may try to set your database tables to use utf8_bin collation.

This could help with proper filtering, because Tableau would generate

binary sequences instead of characters in their SQL statements.

Please try to set your tables to utf8_bin collation. Tell me if it helps.

(You may change only several char / varchar / text fields if necessary).

Yours,

Yuri

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
                        Egor Ushakov

Thanks, Yuri, for helping me! I'm not sure I'll be able to use your advice in the nearest future because MySQL database mentioned in the topic is a backend for production system with 100+ users. So thus modifications surely require some preparations to be done not to affect working system. But I'll think of it to manage the problem.

Why are you so sure about not switching to 5.* driver version in short period?

I'm thinking of building an ETL system based on MySQL InnoDB database. But your answers let me change my decision. May be PostgreSQL would be better? Do you have any negative experience using Tableau with PostgreSQL databases?

• 9. Re: Adding dimension to Filter shelf completely erases the view
                          Yuri Fal

Egor,

To share my doubt about Tableau to use 5.x driver, please look at this thread:

http://community.tableau.com/thread/114038  -- No mo' news so far.

If you're considering Tableau anyway, you may re-consider your analytic database of choice.

PostgreSQL is one of many, definitely a good candidate if you insist on using open source

(and have a great DBA in place :-).

If you choose to stay with MySQL variant for analytics, Infobright or InfiniDB are worth to mention.

But this would lead you to either drop Tableau, or use (periodic) extracts as a last resort.

Think it is enough for the discussion here.

You may reach me by email anyway.

Yours,

Yuri