7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 9:36 AM by Hetal Rupani

Countdown Clock Visuals?

Hetal Rupani

Has anyone attempted to create a countdown clock?  I have put together a prediction model that tells us when a particular bed will be available for a patient  (every possible data points/elements are available).  I want to show this data points in visual format, preferably as a countdown clock (literally a visual of clock that shows countdown), with colors of the clock changing from green to orange to red (red is bad, passed the predicted time and is taking a long for a bed to turnaround).  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
          Andy Piper

Hetal,

I don't have data that goes to the hour or minute level, but I think it could work using a couple of calculated fields (Timer and Stop Light). Ensure the first value of DateDiff (likely either 'minute', 'hour', 'day') matches a level possible by your Bed Release Date field.

Timer formula:

DateDiff('hour', [Ship Date], TODAY())

Stop Light formula:

IF DateDiff('hour',[Ship Date],TODAY()) >= 24 Then "Red"

Else IF DateDiff('hour',[Ship Date],TODAY()) >= 0 Then "Yellow"

Else IF DateDiff('hour',[Ship Date],TODAY()) >= -48 Then"Green"

End  End  End

Set your Unique Bed ID field on Rows. Set Bed Release Date (or whatever your data comparison field is) on Rows. Place the Timer field on the Text shelf. Place Stop Light on the Color shelf (you will need to modify the colors such that "Red" = red, "Yellow" = yellow/orange and "Green" = green).

This approach will highlight the time between now and when the bed is to be released. If under by 48 hours, set to green, if over by less than 24 hours, choose orange, if over by more than 24 hours, mark as red.

I suspect you could use two worksheets, one to calculate hours and the other to calculate minutes; then within the dashboard include both and separate by a ":" text object.

If this concept doesn't work for you, consider including a non-sensitive packaged workbook onto this thread so we can take a look at exactly what you are working with.

Hope this helps,

Andy

• 2. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
            Andy Piper

Hetal,

I couldn't let my earlier comment rest with such uncertainty, so I created some data with hour and minute data and tried to create the countdown you were asking for. I think I may have it (though you will need to refresh the screen to get times to update).

Take a look at the dashboard in the attached workbook. I hope the info in the dashboard and accompanying sheets and fields help you arrive at the answer you are seeking.

Regards,

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
              Hetal Rupani

Andy, Thanks for the reply.  I am going to try what you suggested today.  I took a look at your file, and I am thinking this is exactly what I was looking for.  I will circle back with you.  Thanks so much for your insight.

Hetal

• 4. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
                Hetal Rupani

Hi Andy,

See attached workbook.  Instead of doing calculation in Tableau (as we are pulling it from live dataset from different source system, I thought this was the best way to go) we did backend data modeling for countdown.  However, what I want to show is countdown in visual format, for example in second graph, instead of shoing it red and green, I want to show pie chart that is divided in time elapsed and time remaining (with two colors). Ideas?  I would need Table Calculation, and I am thinking it will go something like this.... predicted time - time remaining = time elapsed.  Time elapsed - time remaining = time remaining 2.  Does this make sense?  Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Hetal

• 5. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
                  Andy Piper

Hetal,

The segments of the pie are based on the values within a single field that is placed on the Color shelf or a combination of the Color and Level of Detail shelves. If there is but one record for a bed, there can only be one segment of the pie and it will always be whole.

I believe you would need at least 2 records for the bed along with perhaps two new fields - BEDTIME and MINUTES. BEDTIME would be either "TIME REMAINING" or "TIME ELAPSED". MINUTES would be either the actual amount of minutes for either time remaining or time elapsed. I believe if you do this and place BED on Rows or Columns shelf, BEDTIME on Color Shelf, Minutes on Angle shelf you would get the pie chart you're looking for.

Take a look at the attached workbook. I duplicated your records in Excel and added the BEDTIME field to it. I then created Time Elapsed and Time Remaining fields and used those to populate the MINUTES field. Through the use of filters in sheet 1  pies appear only if the TA window (Release Time to Predicted TA Time) is still open.

You could likely use a SQL Union All statement to duplicate the records and add the BEDTIME value of "Time Elapsed" to the first set of records and a "Time Remaining" to the second set of records.

Hope this helps,

Andy

• 6. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
                    Andy Piper

Hetal,

Have you had a chance to try my suggestion from 11/16? If so, did it work for you?

Regards,

Andy

• 7. Re: Countdown Clock Visuals?
                      Hetal Rupani

Hi Andy,

Sorry for not replying.  It seems it is going to work the way you suggested, however, I haven't had a chance to data model and create a visualization.  We are still working on it, should have some answer by next week.

I will be in touch.

Thanks,

Hetal