2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 7:37 AM by Max R.

Filtering two (or more) data sources by one global filter

Max R.

Hello guys!

Background: I have two Excel files for storing Spend and GRP values of some products. Both files have the same column set (Region, Media, Product, Value).

Requirements: to show GRP and Spend on the same worksheet (done) with one global filter (by Product e.g.) for both Values (connected with two data sources)

Is it possible to make such filter for two relevant dimensions of different data sources?

• 1. Re: Filtering two (or more) data sources by one global filter
          Robin Kennedy

Max,

You cannot specify a global filter to work over more than one data source, but you may be able to accomplish what you want using Parameters instead.

You need to create a parameter and fill in the options from the dimension e.g. Product, and then use the parameter in a calculated field for example:

IF [Product] = [Prod Parameter] THEN SUM([Value]) ELSE 0 END

Then use your calculated field in your viz rather than SUM(Value)

Hope that helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filtering two (or more) data sources by one global filter
            Max R.

Thanks for your reply, Robin!

Follow your solution and faced a calculation error: "Cannot mix aggregate and non-aggragate comparisions or results in IF operator"...

BTW, to which data source should I add a new calculation field and how will I be able to filter by its value the second data source?

I would really appreciate your explanations

PS: I should say that I've already tried the solution with Parameters and it looks helpful when I need to make a global filter for two worksheets (each contains data ONLY for one data source).

Message was edited by: Max R.