4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 1:10 AM by thierryjakircevic

Question about the matching of locations

thierryjakircevic

Hi,

A lot of my city names are properly spelled out but are not recognized by Tableau. See below:

As you can see here the city "Ahmedabad" is written in my DB in the exact same way it is registered in Tableau's DB.

However it was not recognized by Tableau.

Can someone share some light on how this automatic matching works? I've got over 600 mismatches so I would hope not to select them all one by one!

Thank you

Thierry

• 1. Re: Question about the matching of locations
          Darren Evans

Hi,

I don't use maps that often but I do know that the engine is case sensitive so try to pre-format you city names before they are imported into Tableau. In the format Ahmedabad not ahmedabad or AHMEDABAD

You may also want to check the data for trailing spaces ie Ahmedabad (notice the space after the end of the name it should be Ahmedabad

If you are using cities from multiple countries you will need to add the Country field ( or create one if it does not exist) to the level of detail or Tableau will assume that all the cities are in one country and that will cause mismatches. 

If nothing else works you could try using a batch geocoding service ( such as http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoder/) if you add all your cities to this and append the Lat Longs to your data you can use these instead of the ones that Tableau auto-generates.

All the best,

Darren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Question about the matching of locations
            Minat Verma

Hi Thierry,

For that you can click on the "Unrecognized" text and see if the required city is present in the dropdown or not.

Alternatively you can provide latitude-longitude pair value for the city on the left irrespective of the spelling of the city.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minat

• 3. Re: Question about the matching of locations
              Dan Cory

Actually it's not case or accent sensitive any more. And trailing spaces are removed automatically.

You can have this problem if you have a country field but it is wrong or null. Could that be it?

• 4. Re: Question about the matching of locations
                thierryjakircevic

Thank you all for helping out (and sorry for the late follow-up).

To Minat: all the cities that are not being recognized are indeed in the list. Hence my confusion.

To Darren and Dan: it might be related to the "Country" field. Haven't paid too much attention to that part. Will look at it again.

Thanks again!