1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 12:16 PM by David Kurak

Category Scatter

gioel.molinari

Just started evaluating Tableau and looks like there is a lot to love. One of my first tasks I thought would be pretty simple but I seem to be struggling. I've got a basic dataset that contains:

CustomerName   Product Category   PurchaseAmount

I am trying to do a simple scatter plot of the total purchases in one category vs another one, with the dots being customers (or a set of small multiple scatters that show each product category vs others)

Cannot seem to get this to work. I use Sum(PurchaseAmount) as a column but thats as far as I can figure out. What should I be doing? This is the same use case as if I used the sample SuperStore Sales dataset and wanted to scatter plot sum(sales) for one product category against another.

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Category Scatter
          David Kurak

You typically want 2 measures for the scatter - one of the x-axis and the other for the y-axis. In the Sample - Superstore example, If you want to see 'total purchases in one category vs the other for each customer', you can:

• Add Customer to the rows shelf
          • Add Sales to the columns shelf
          • Add Category to the Color shelf
          • Sort by Sales Desc and you can see the ratio for each customer

Another option - if you want the scatter, is to create a new Sales measure for each category:

• Sales (Furniture) = if [Category] = 'Furniture' then [Sales] else 0 end

If you do this for each category, you can then create scatters using the 2 metrics you want to compare ... or create small multiples if you want to add more than 2 categories