3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2012 4:49 PM by Russell Christopher

Using Tableau Server Residing Behind the DMZ for a Public Facing Website

Mark Chappell

Hello all.

Instead of using Tableau Digital Tableau Public Premium, my client would like to use their internal Tableau Server (residing behind the DMZ) to serve up visualizations in a public-facing website.

The web server is accessible to the "outside world" and the ASP.net page contains the JavaScript snippet referencing the visualization on Tableau Server. Predictably the Tableau Server is not visible to the web server (because it resides behind the DMZ), so the visualization cannot be rendered.

What is the trick to get this type of setup to work?

Thanks.

------------------------

Mark Chappell

eBI Systems, LLC

• 1. Re: Using Tableau Server Residing Behind the DMZ for a Public Facing Website
          Russell Christopher

Heya Mark!

Coming to San Diego?

I'm not sure I'm with 100% you. I think you're saying that the public-facing website is outside the DMZ, but the Tableau Server is behind the firewall, and no ports are open in order to access it from the outside world. Correct so far?

If so, then there's really nothing you can do. The external web server (and ultimately the client/web browser) needs the ability to talk directly to Tableau Server unless you do something like generate a static image from Server and then somehow pass it to the Web Server in some sort of "better late than never" fashion.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Tableau Server Residing Behind the DMZ for a Public Facing Website
            Mark Chappell

Hey Russell.

When I wrote this up, I was hoping that you would chime in...and yes, I will be in San Diego on Sunday (I'm looking forward to your Portal/Web Application Integration session).

You have painted the scenario correctly. I've been told to use their 3-tier architecture (web/application/data servers) for this purpose, although it would have (in my opinion) been a lot easier to use Digital Public Premium to serve up the viz via their web server. The web server can talk to the application/data servers, but cannot directly interact with the Tableau Server installation.

My client wanted me to open a support ticket, so I did...along with this post.

Thanks for the reply; I will pass the information on to my client and we will figure out which direction to take.

See ya next week.

• 3. Re: Using Tableau Server Residing Behind the DMZ for a Public Facing Website
              Russell Christopher

The session is going to be awesome! Great developer who is a rockstar will be showing very, very cool stuff. We will turn our many Server Jedi Knights - screw those Desktop Padawans.

You're 100% correct. If we want to render visualizations in the browser, the browser must be able to communicate with the Server.