12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 1:58 PM by Govind Nair

Exporting image takes a long Time

Govind Nair

Another issue I have been having is when I am trying to export the scatter plot as an Image it goes into 'Computing View Layout' for over 5mins. At this point I stopped and just took a screenshot.

The scatter plot is using a background image that is close to 2MB.

Any ideas how to make this go faster?

Govind

• 1. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Govind,

What data source are you using and what version of Tableau Desktop is being used?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
            Govind Nair

The data source is an MSSQL server. But I have tried it with data extracts as well. I am using 7.0.

Govind

• 3. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
              Alex Kerin

Ditch the background, see if that makes it better. As the resulting copied image is an emf, you can paste special into word/ppt, ungroup, and get rid of the white background. Then you can paste your real 2mb background back in and send to back.

• 4. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                Govind Nair

Tried removing the background but still takes more than 15 mins to export. But even still adding the background image later will be hard, since I need to position it on a particular co-ordinates.

• 5. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                  Alex Kerin

Do you have extensive table calcs? How many points are you plotting? I've found it odd that Tableau has to recalculate for an export of this or a data table when the data is already there displayed on the screen. In my case I may have had a table with 50,000 rows (and plenty of table calcs), but all displayed and I can scroll through them. If I then try to copy the data (control a, control v) it looks like it's recalculating everything which can take 10 mins.

• 6. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                    Govind Nair

By table calculations, do you mean calculated fields? I had one,removed it (put it in the select query itself), still giving me really huge export times.

• 7. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                      Alex Kerin

How many marks are being plotted? You can see that right at the bottom of the window.

• 8. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                        Richard Leeke

A couple of thoughts on this.

Where are you saving the image file to - is it a local disk on the same machine where Tableau is running or a remote network share? I recall tracing exceedingly slow PDF file creation to the fact that each the PDF creation process wrote each mark individually to the PDF file (quite possibly involving several disk accesses per mark). Drawing a scatter chart with tens of thousands of marks was taking 20 minutes to a remote share, which came down to a few seconds when I did it locally.

I'm not quite sure how the various image formats work, but I think I recall that some (like png probably) only draw whatever is on top, whereas some (maybe EMF?) behave the same as PDFs and draw each mark, even if there are 50 more marks on top of it and so it won't show.

So worth trying a local drive if you're not already and maybe worth trying different image file formats.

• 9. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                          Govind Nair

The image is being saved to the local disk as an image. I did try different formats... it gets stuck on 'Computing View Layout' for the longest time.

2 Marks are being plotted.

• 10. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                            Alex Kerin

Either something else is up or perhaps you have a corrupted tbw.

Can you share a screenshot or even better a tbwx?

• 11. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                              Richard Leeke

It's worth having a look in the Tableau log file (which is in the Logs directory under your Tableau repository) to see what Tableau claims it is doing. There will be lots of entries with timestamps on them - look for the long gap between timestamps.

Or post the log file here.

• 12. Re: Exporting image takes a long Time
                                Govind Nair

Can't share the workbook right off the bat. Need to talk to some higher ups.

The log file just shows a lot of

DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.716 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.719 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.720 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.720 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.722 (1ba4):    [Count] Query returned 23 records from the cache (Q35).

2012-10-31 13:48:13.722 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.723 (1ba4):    [Count] Query returned 23 records from the cache (Q35).

2012-10-31 13:48:13.724 (1ba4):    [Count] Query returned 12 records from the cache (Q52).

2012-10-31 13:48:13.724 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.725 (1ba4):    [Count] Query returned 23 records from the cache (Q35).

2012-10-31 13:48:13.725 (1ba4): DataSourceException: type=QueryCompilation

2012-10-31 13:48:13.727 (1ba4):    [Count] Query returned 23 records from the cache (Q35).

The file itself is pretty massive