1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 7:04 AM by Robin Kennedy

how to color part of the table and customize the color Palette

Ken Zheng

Hello,

I have a table below which is colored based on the the % measures at the 3rd column.

What I want to do is to only color the 3rd column instead of the whole table, and I want to make the middle range ~ 0% to be black instead of gray.

How could I do that?

Thank you

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: how to color part of the table and customize the color Palette
          Robin Kennedy

Ken,

There's a couple of ways to only color the % value...

One way would be to create two separate views (one for Actual and Proj, and another for the % calculation) and then combine them on a dashbaord. The second view would have it's headers hidden so you don't get repetition of your row headers.

A second way is to add Actual and Proj. as DISCRETE aggregated measures to the row shelf (i.e. a blue pill saying Sum(Actual), or whatever your aggregation is... I cannot see from your screenshot). This way, these two measures are now headers, rather than data. The % then is added to the Text shelf and you can color by itself and it won't affect the headers.

For your red-black-green diverging scheme, you can create a custom color palette by editing the Preferences file in your 'My Tableau Repository' folder. Something like

<color-palette name="My Sequential Palette" type="ordered-diverging" >

<color>#ff0000</color>

<color>#000000</color>

<color>#00ff00</color>

</color-palette>

might work. More info on custom color palettes here: http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/creating-custom-color-palettes