4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 11:48 AM by Mark Holtz

Filters that are specific to certain sheets

Alexandra Clay

Hello -

I am creating a dashboard that has multiple components (there are 6 visualizations total that will be displayed on my final dashboard). All visualizations must be filtered by county so I created a global filter for county (which works fine). However, I also need to filter 4 of the 6 visualizations by year and then 3 of those 4 by drug.

How do I create multiple filters? Is there a way to select the sheets I would like a filter to apply too?

please help!

• 1. Re: Filters that are specific to certain sheets
          Mark Holtz

Hi Alexandra,

You cannot create a "hybrid" filter in Tableau that is partway between Local (applies only to the sheet at hand) or Global (applies to all sheets using the data source).

There are a few ideas (like this one http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1035) on the Tableau Ideas section. Feel free to up-vote if you want Tableau to get this functionality prioritized for future releases.

That said, there is a workaround that will likely suit you.
          You can create "filtering views" and then use those to filter other select views included on a dashboard.

Say I have 4 views, but 3 and only 3 need to be able to be filtered by a specific year.
          I could create a view that just shows a plain list of the relevant years as below.

Year  (entered on rows shelf of this view as YEAR([Date field])

Then, I can expose this list on my dashboard and create an action that when the user selects one of these, it filters the 3 views desired and leaves the 4th alone.

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filters that are specific to certain sheets
            Chris Tsui

Hi Alexandra,

I ran into this as well, and while I'm not sure if this entirely helps you out, I did find that it helped point me in the right direction:

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/excluding-sheets-from-global-filter

Hope it helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filters that are specific to certain sheets
              Alexandra Clay

Thank you! These were both very helpful!

Mark - Question for you. Is there anyway to make the action filter display as something other than a list (e.g., a slider or drop down?).

• 4. Re: Filters that are specific to certain sheets
                Mark Holtz

You can certainly make the view into any kind of graph (bar chart, pie chart, heat map, etc.) that you want, but I don't think you can get it to be a drop down or slider.  The sticking point is that you are setting the Action up to be the filter.

It is the clicking on the view (or bring up the menu for it) which triggers the filter.

Have you considered using a parameter (can be set as both slider and drop down) instead, and then making all your measures across all 4 of the "filter-able" views dependent on the parameter?

Something like
                Parameter =
                'Category A'
                'Category B'

Condition Measure from sheet 1 =
                IF [Parameter] = 'Category A'
                THEN [Measure]
                ELSE NULL
                END

Condition Measure from sheet 2 =
                IF [Parameter] = 'Category B'
                THEN [Measure]