7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 6:50 AM by Robert Sinclair

Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?

Robert Sinclair

The following chart illustrates a common way that Net Promoter Scores are reported.  I wish to create the same type chart in Tableau.  The closest I have been able to come is using reference bands around a shape symbol , but I would like to duplicate this view using lines rather than ref. bands.  Is it possible?  Thanks RS

NPS Chart.png

• 1. Re: Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Robert,

One option may be to use a dual axis, one mark type being a bar where the size is set to small and the other mark type being a shape. However, this only gets a mark for the second measure. I have attached a sample.

Hope it helps a little bit!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?
            Robert Sinclair

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your timely response.  Your solution is pretty darn close, and may be the closest Tableau can come to reproducing the original. Thanks for the help.  RS

• 3. Re: Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?
              Richard Leeke

Taking Tracy's idea a bit further, if you organise your data so that you have three rows per result (for min, max and average), you can achieve pretty close to what you want.

NPS.png

I just took Tracy's Supertsore Sales example and did some juggling with table calculations to pick the first three cities from each state - just to get the right number of rows - but f you organise your data differently you don't need table calcs.

• 4. Re: Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?
                Jonathan Drummey

Hi Robert,

Any time someone says something like "may be the closest," I take that as a challenge to do better… Here's an alternative view (and attached workbook).

Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 5.31.12 AM.PNG

To draw the the line, I used a line chart with the ID field on the Path shelf, to let Tableau where to draw the marks. In this case, the ID's go from low to high so the path is very clean with no overlaps (which can be hard to detect when they occur, so you might not even see them in your data). The Industry field is used as the label on the line chart, with only the start of the line being labeled. The mark labels are positioned as far left as they will go by default, and you can see that the ends of the labels are a bit cut off by the shapes. If the data were shaped differently, you could probably set up the industry label on the shape instead of the line, for now you can just manually drag the mark labels to the left a bit.

For the Shape Marks, I set up calculated fields for MIN, MAX, and AVG NPS score, and used Measure Values to plot the marks on an axis, with Measure Names on the Shape and Color Shelves.

Then I set these up in a dual axis chart as Tracy did, with synchronized axes, then played with the text and line formats to make it more accurately duplicate your original chart. Tableau generates separate legends for Shapes and Color, so to create the legend I used a separate worksheet that draws another line, then put the two worksheets on the dashboard. The only thing that Tableau won't do is let us overlay one worksheet on top of another, so the legend stays separate. There are even workarounds for that, by using dual axes with custom shapes (not so possible in this case because we're already using dual axes) or reshaping the data to use a background image that has the legend on it (a trick I learned from Shawn Wallwork, though in this case it would require a non-trivial effort).

Cheers,

Jonathan

• 6. Re: Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?
                  Richard Leeke

Much nicer than my hacky effort - definitely use Jonathan's as your model.

• 7. Re: Can Tableau Create the following Visualization?
                    Robert Sinclair

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the most elegant solution!

Richard, thanks for your creative approach as well.  This is the visual I want to achieve and now I have three ways to go about it.  Thanks to all who responded so quickly - you guys are awesome.

All the best,

Robert