2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 3:19 PM by Neil Berkowitz

Change fiscal year start by parameter?

Neil Berkowitz

Because our research faculty are also faculty at another institution, which has a different fiscal year, I am sometimes asked for information similar to that on our dashes but matching their FY or the calendar year. Currently I make a packaged workbook from the published workbook, make the change to the FY start, and provide to the user. This is not ideal. Is there a way to use a parameter to reset the FY start? Other suggestions that would allow the enduser to set the FY start would also be welcome.

• 1. Re: Change fiscal year start by parameter?
          Mark Holtz

Hi Neil,

You could certainly accomplish this.

Can you provide a workbook?

In the meantime, you might find this thread helpful:

http://community.tableau.com/thread/119875

Basically, the changes to this would be that

• instead of hard-coding the start month integer (7) into the IF clause, you'd put a parameter (or calculated field based on a parameter)
          • and then instead of the THEN or the ELSE values that are hardcoded using 7/1 and 6/30, you could make a calculated field that gives the correct "m/d" text string

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Change fiscal year start by parameter?
            Neil Berkowitz

I may be missing something basic here. I was hoping there might be a way to set the field property itself from the parameter. I will take a look at your approach. Since our data sources are generally not very large my backup approach is to create a date field for each of the two additional FY start date option, set the FY start property for each, create a parameter and calculated field to hold the selected field.

Thanks for the help.