3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 11:39 AM by Russell Christopher

Edit one line of multiple line graph

Is there a way to make one line of a multiple line graph thicker or change it to a dashed line so that this line will stand out over the other lines?  Each time I try to edit the line, it changes all the lines.

• 1. Re: Edit one line of multiple line graph
          Russell Christopher

Hey Melissa - You might try using the "Size" shelf to help you do this. You'll also need to build a simple calculated field which "pumps up" the size of the specific line you care about.

As an example, lets' pretend you have a Region field, with values of East, West, North, South. You want "West" to be bigger:

Calculation1:

If [Region]  = "West" Then 2 else 1 end

Drag Calculation1 to the Dimensions list...then you can use it to drive Size.

Example attached!

• 2. Re: Edit one line of multiple line graph

Thanks Russell

I understand.  However, my field is a measure.  Is there a way to apply this calc to a measure.

• 3. Re: Edit one line of multiple line graph
              Russell Christopher

Ah - Then a different approach is in order...a little bit more tricky:

In the re-attached sample:

• I am using dual axes.
              • The first group of Measures ("Measure Values" pill on the Rows shelf) contains Sales and Quantity. They are formatted the same -- thinner lines.
              • The second pill on the Rows shelf is our "special" measure (Profit) - what we want to stand out.
                • I used the "Synchronize Axis" command on Profit's axis (on the right) so that the scales on either side of the chart are the same.
                • In the Marks card, I used the little drop-down to change to "Multiple Mark Types"
                • I chose my Sum(Profit) measure with the < and > buttons inside the Marks card
                • ...Then I formatted my Profit measure differently - making the line thicker.

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful