This issue continues to affect us. Very often (if not always) all my quick filters that were set as drop down menus revert back to multiple value list when I work on my data source (usually when I use the command "Replace Data Source" or when I change the extract filtering).
As someone also encountered this?
I am also having this exact problem. I'm in the process of moving several data sources to Server, and just like in your case, these data sources are exact duplicates of what is being used in the workbook.
In one workbook, that contained several pareto charts, my table calculations for the total percent line disappeared from each chart (there were several charts). I had to manually add them back; once I did that, everything was fine and it matched the previous workbook.
Today, in a different workbook, published the data source to server, replaced the data source as instructed, and many calculated fields became corrupted. Here's an example of one of the calculated fields:
If [GLMMYY]>=[Calculation_7220205104823433] and [GLMMYY]<=[Calculation_7290205104847199] then
The two fields starting with "Calculation_" are other calculated fields that exist within the workbook. I will have to go through each calculated field and manually fix all of these references before it will work. Very frustrating!
It is indeed very frustrating...
The issue of Dropdown lists reverting to multiple value list keeps happening all the time (even when not replacing the data source).
I am going to repeat myself here but I really hope Tableau 9 will focus more on improving user experience, optimizing performance (my benchmark here being Qlikview) and fixing bugs that have been there for years instead of coming up with fancy new visualizations...
1 of 1 people found this helpful
I share your frustration. A work around that I use is to select each sheet/dashboard that you are publishing before adding the new data source. The act of selecting and refreshing the pages will retain the filter types when the new data source replaces the old one. I'm not sure if it corrects everything that's going on but at least it fixes my filters.
Hi Sam Bruce:
Can you describe this work around in another way? You simply click on each sheet/dashboard before publishing the Server data source? Rebuilding of quick filters after replacing the data source is an absolute killer for me. And for some reason, my quick filters on my first dashboard always retain their settings, but any subsequent dashboards lose their settings and go back to the multiple value lists that everyone hates!
Wow, that is amazing and it does work. Someone needs to document this somewhere!
I am really really really losing patience on this bug...
Is it that difficult to fix?!
Here are few tips which you need to follow before Replacing data source.
1) Visit Every dashboard which you have created before replace. (You can use Alt + Page Down or Page Up to do this).
This is the kind of activation.
2) After doing Activation of every dashboard, now you can proceed with replacement of data source.
3) Check all dashboard have you got the proper view then save.
If this is working please let me know.
This is what was suggested previously--it works, but its a pain.
The suggested method to activate all dashboards does not help for missing measures.
I do not know why but "some" calculated measures disappear. Not all. I cannot figure out why some remains and not others.
2 of 2 people found this helpful
Here's the way we do it, and found (so far) it works!
If the model is currently using a non-server data source, we'd first publish it to the server
1) Create local copy of server data source
2) Replace server data source with local data source in workbook
3) Remove reference to server data source (close connection)
5) Publish data source to server
6) Replace local data source with server version
7) Remove (close) local data source
9) Republish workbook to server
This is also what we do, when we need to alter server model calcs...gets round the Edit Copy annoyance when a calc needs altering.
But this is a pain if you do not want to publish data sources to the server. I am having the exact same issue, where filters, colors of vizs, combined fields are all gone wacky because I would like to replace the exact same replica of the data source from a different server. We develop on the test environment then we move everything over to the production, but I seem to be developing again in production because I tend to loose formatting, fields and calculations. Totally a pain.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Agree this is a pain...I'll refer you to Alexander's blog, where he has detailed all the tips and tricks to make this less painful (more detailed than bullet points above)
As of 9.3 (meaning you'll need 9.3 server too) the publishing has got much better
However from what you've described, as long as the data-source is of the same type (so if both your Development and Production were, say, SQL Server) you should be able to switch using the 'Edit Data Source'...this way it's just like doing a refresh data and nothing breaks...image below shows how to...