2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 1:41 PM by Todd Cummings

Batching reports to PDFs by a variable file name

Matt Stoffa

I need to create the same report / output / dashboard for hundreds or thousands of {cases}.  The report / output / dashboard will look exactly the same in terms of layout, color, borders, fonts, etc.  The underlying data will be different for each {case}.

For example, let's say I want to create a report for 5 different types of storms (e.g., tornados or hurricanes).  I have statistics on storms by category (1 through 5).  I want the first page to show tables, charts, statistics about category 1 storms ... then page 2 for category 2 ... up to page 5 for category 5.

I have created dashboard using a data field called something like "Category" in the Pages Card.  It could also go in the Filters Card (probably doesn't matter).

I want to print these as individual PDFs using the "Category" for each PDF.

Can this be done in either the Desktop of Server version?  If so, how?

If not, how would you recommend doing this if I want the same report / output / dashboard for hundreds or thousands of cases of "Category"?   They MUST be separate PDFs.

I have received several "don't think so" answers, but I can't imagine I'm the only one that wants to do something like this.  My result would be using Tableau as more of a reporting engine than an analysis engine.

Please offer some insights on how to best go about solving such an issue.

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Batching reports to PDFs by a variable file name
          Russell Christopher

You can do this with Tableau Server and batch file which would render the report once as a PDF for each Category value.

You'd use our command-line tool "TabCmd" to do this:

tabcmd get "/views/WorkbookName/DashboardName.pdf?Category=<somevaluegoeshere>" -f "Report for <some value goes here>.pdf"

Essentially, you'd just run tabcmd over and over again with a different Category value and a different output filename.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Batching reports to PDFs by a variable file name
            Todd Cummings

Is it possible to batch print a dashboard using the desktop version of Tableau?  I would print via the "pages" shelf but I end up with a lot of blank spots in my visualization because data does not exist for all datapoints.  The attached is a PDF showing how my table looks when using the "pages" shelf and when using a filter.

In the past I have created a single value filter and changed my filter one-by-one.  That got old, fast.  I have 300 pages and I'm looking for the fastest way to create 300 unique PDFs without the blank spaces associated with the pages shelf.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

todd

view1_1.pngview1_2.png