4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 6:16 PM by Anthony Chou

Need advice for a more complex filtering

Anthony Chou

Hello!

I have Products A, B, C, ..., Y, Z. I can create a filter so if I choose Product B, only customers who bought Product B will be returned. Suppose now I want to filter what these people bought in addition to Product B (similar to Amazon's "People who bought _____ also bought ______").

The goal is to pick a parameter like Product B, and have a bar graph or something that counts "if someone bought product B, what else did they buy?"

I have already filtered to product B only, but then I can't bring up the other products because the view was filtered already. Any strategies to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Anthony

• 1. Re: Need advice for a more complex filtering
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Anthony,

Check out this post http://community.tableau.com/thread/120042 for some ideas, and let me know if you need more help.

Cheers,

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Need advice for a more complex filtering
            Anthony Chou

Hey Jonathan,

Thank you for your response. Method 2 in the workbook from that thread was very close to what I was searching for. I got that to work with my data with one small issue.

When you show the quick filter Sub-Category and choose (All), your method 2 returns all Order ID that contain whatever was in "Choose Sub-Category". That's good. However, when I choose (All) for my sub categories, all the sub-categories and all the Order IDs are returned regardless of whatever was in "Choose Sub-Category".

I wish I could show you a workbook but my data contains confidential information. I have one "Choose" parameter, two Dimension (sub-categories and Order ID), one measures (sub-category TC filter), filtered by sub-category dimension and sub-category TC filter. Measure Values not too important because I'm only trying to show all Order IDs that contain the sub-category. If you have any insight, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Anthony

• 3. Re: Need advice for a more complex filtering
              Jonathan Drummey

Hi Anthony,

There are two ways I can duplicate your behavior - if I set the Compute Using for the Sub-Category TC Filter to Table (Down), or I set the Compute Using to Sub-Category but don't choose any values. The Compute Using needs to be set to Sub-Category, with the filter set to At Least 1.

If this doesn't work, then it's going to be really tough to diagnose without seeing more of how you have the view set up. If you're ok with me alone seeing it then contact me at jonathan.drummey (at) gmail (dot) com and we can set up a webex.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Need advice for a more complex filtering
                Anthony Chou

Thank you Jonathan, you got it figured out.

Understanding "Compute using" would make excellent commentary about this problem. Well done.

Cheers!

-Anthony