2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 7:58 AM by Bart Valgaerts

Calculate Latitude and Longitude

Bart Valgaerts

Hi,

I've got this database full of Belgian adresses, and I don't want to calculate the latitude and longitude of every single address manually. I want to know if it is possible to calculate the latitude and longitude yourself based on the street, streetnumber, city, postal code and country?

Is there a function where you can use these parameters in order to get the latitude and longitude?

I know Tableau is able to calculate the latitude and longitude based on some geographical data, but this doesn't always work correctly for Belgian addresses.

• 1. Re: Calculate Latitude and Longitude
          Shawn Wallwork

Hi Bart,

I work with maps a lot, and have found this Batch Geocode utility very helpful. I've never tried it outside the US, but I'm fairly sure it will work. I produces text that is easily copied/pasted into an Excel spreadsheet without any fuss. The default settings produce the lat/longs in the form Tableau needs. It can handle up to 1,000 addresses at a time, although I haven't tested that many myself. Just make sure your addresses are one per line, and would be recognized by Google Maps if you entered them one at a time. Hope this works for you.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Calculate Latitude and Longitude
            Bart Valgaerts

Hi Shawn,

thanks for the quick response! This is good enough for now, I only need to create a demo for my customer :-)

Bart