6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 8:47 AM by sirajmandayippurath

Dashboard Challenge

aubreyprice

Hi,

I have a particular puzzle that I can't seem to solve in Tableau.  I have a list of items, say A through Z that each have assigned to them a probability of outcome and a resulting value.  They each all have a history of results, in this case going back 60 observations (but I may wish to extend this).  Any of the Items A to Z can be replicated by any 2 other items in the set in a linear combination, creating a model where for example the probability of C and D can be combined in some way to replicate A's probability at a given point in time (a model).  I have created a sheet that shows this as a scatter plot.  That was the easy part.

Now I want to be able to select any of the models generated and see how they would have performed over time.  This means I need the to be able to select the mark on sheet1 and have the resulting data drive the calculation in Sheet 2, which would be the net of the target (A) and the model (C + D in some ratio) results over time

.dashboardChallenge.PNG

Is this even possible ?

• 1. Re: Dashboard Challenge
          sirajmandayippurath

Hi Aubrey,

Would it be possible to post a sample packaged workbook so that we could look to better understand your requirement?

Cheers

Siraj

• 2. Re: Dashboard Challenge
            aubreyprice

Hi Siraj,

I have attached a packaged workbook.  Sheet1 shows the model vs target output.  Each point represents 3 IDs (the target, id1 and id2).  Ideally I'd like to be able to filter Sheet2 to show these 3 IDs by selecting a point on Sheet1.  Thus far I've only been able to filter to a single ID using dashboard actions.  What I really need is to have a single line on Sheet2 representing a calculated field based on the 3 ID's ( basically the net of the target and each of ID 1 and 2 multiplied by their respective model weight).

Thanks,

Aubrey

• 3. Re: Dashboard Challenge
              sirajmandayippurath

Hi Aubrey,

Thank you for sharing the workbook - I noticed that you are using two different data sources in this. On the dashboard view that you have created, can you let me know how Sheet 1 fields are related to Sheet 2 fields please? I tried to work this out but could not figure out which field was related to which.

Cheers

Siraj

• 4. Re: Dashboard Challenge
                aubreyprice

Hi Siraj,

Sheet1 is joined to Sheet2 in 3 possible ways.  Sheet1.TargetID = Sheet2.ID / Sheet1.ID1 = Sheet2.ID / Sheet1.ID2 = Sheet2.ID

This is part of the root problem.  The data sources can easily be co-located and joined but using 3 inner join's would create a data set way too large to be practical.

• 5. Re: Dashboard Challenge
                  aubreyprice

I'm guessing this is impossible as:

• all references to parameters seem to indicate that these can't be set via dashboard actions or autofilled in any way
                  • there seems to be no way to use a parameter or calculated field in a sql query
                  • 6. Re: Dashboard Challenge
                    sirajmandayippurath

Sorry Aubrey - I am afraid I cannot help. I don't think I understood the data well enough to try and help. Hopefully you will get the gurus on this forum helping you out!

Cheers

Siraj