9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 10:01 AM by ramprasad potturi

Columns data overlapping

ramprasad potturi

Hello,

I have 10 columns on my worksheet, columns data is overlapping (please see fig below).
      How can I remove overlapping, show horizontal scroll bar.

ColumnsOverlapping.png

Thanks,

Ram

• 1. Re: Columns data overlapping
          Andy Piper

Ramprasad,

The default number of columns and rows in a table is 6 each. Adding more fields to either the rows or columns will behave as is shown in the screen capture. To change the table so it allows more row and columnar fields, go to Analysis|Table Layout|Advanced. Change the highlighted items in the screen capture below to reflect the number of row & columnar fields you wish to display. The maximum number is 16.

Hope this helps,

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Columns data overlapping
            ramprasad potturi

Thank you for quick reply. Column data overlapping is resolved, but all columns are not visible now. Is there way to get the horizontal scroll bar?

Column.png

Thanks In Advance.

Ram

• 3. Re: Columns data overlapping
              Andy Piper

Ram,

You would either need to limit the number of columns you wish to view at one time or reduce the size of other columns so that more text can fit on the row or you could increase the size of each row so the text can wrap. A quick way to increase the size of the row is to be in the table and perform a CTRL+Up Arrow. A CTRL+Down Arrow will shrink the row size.

Andy

• 4. Re: Columns data overlapping
                ramprasad potturi

I increased the row size, but the text is not wrapping. Please see below fig.

Column1.png

Thanks,

Ram

• 5. Re: Columns data overlapping
                  Andy Piper

Ram,

It could be that the row is not sized large enough or the field is configured so it will not word wrap. You know how to size the rows, so you can try to adjust to make it bigger. To check whether the field is configured to wrap text, right click on the WorkEmail1 pill in the Rows shelf and choose Format. A format area will appear in place of the list of dimensions and measures. Within the Header tab, set the Default Alignment to Wrap On (as opposed to Wrap Off or Automatic).

If that doesn't work, please consider uploading a packaged workbook that shows this so folks could see if there are other ways to format the fields or table to get it to fit.

Andy

• 6. Re: Columns data overlapping
                    ramprasad potturi

Hello Andy,

I tried what you suggested. But no luck. Please see the below screenshot.

Untitled.png

Thanks,

Ram

• 7. Re: Columns data overlapping
                      Andy Piper

Ram,

In order to perform a text wrap, there must be some logical break in the data such as a space, or if a known word so it may hyphenate the word. Since the information presented is an email format, there is likely no spaces in it and thus may not wrap. You may need to increase the size of this field such that all information displays.

Given these limitations (for there are no horizontal scrolling capabilities), you may want to reconsider the fields in play and how you're displaying them.

Andy

• 8. Re: Columns data overlapping
                        Shawn Wallwork

Andy, that's what I thought too (even posted it here) but then I tested that by taking all the spaces out of a long string, and here's the results I got:

Line Break.PNG

So I deleted my original post. Ram you have the Workphone field highlighted so that's the field you're formatting. Try highlighting the Email1 column and then rt-click and click format again. Tableau is a bit squirrelly in this area. Sometimes it changes the format side-bar to the new field when you click a new column, and sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes it displays the correct tab and sometimes not. Play around, you'll get it.

--Shawn

• 9. Re: Columns data overlapping
                          ramprasad potturi

Thank you very much Shawn and Andy, That worked.