4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 8:36 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Bookmarks and packaged workbooks don't mix?

Shawn Wallwork

Just want to confirm: that while it is possible to bookmark a sheet in a twbx file and the bookmark is broken as soon as the packaged workbook is closed. This is correct? Thanks,

--Shawn

• 1. Re: Bookmarks and packaged workbooks don't mix?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Shawn,

What do you mean the bookmark is broken as soon as the packaged workbook is closed?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Bookmarks and packaged workbooks don't mix?
            Shawn Wallwork

Hi Tracy,

When packaged workbooks are opened Tableau copies them into a temp directory with some generated unique number in the path, then puts the file structure under that:

c:\temp\14plrin1cz6bq81g11d5g0ze95is\Data\CD Data\CDD PPC Tableau Data_July 2012.xlsx

When the workbook is closed this file is cleared (I think). So I can bookmark a sheet in a packaged workbook, but when I try to use that bookmark the sheet's data connection can't be found, because it no longer exists (?). So bookmarks don't work with package workbooks (?)

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Bookmarks and packaged workbooks don't mix?
              Robert Morton

Hi Shawn,

When a packaged workbook contains file data sources, those are unzipped into a temporary directory for the duration of your use of that workbook. When you generate a bookmark, the data source definition is still pointing to the temporary location. Here's what you should do instead:

1. Unpackage the workbook. You can do this from within Tableau Desktop by using Save As... and specifying the file type as .twb. Alternatively from the Windows file Explorer you can right-click on the .twbx and choose "unpackage". This should result in a directory next to your .twb which now contains the unpackaged data source files.
              2. Load the unpackaged workbook into Tableau if you haven't already.
              3. Export your bookmarks.

I hope this helps,

Robert

• 4. Re: Bookmarks and packaged workbooks don't mix?
                Shawn Wallwork

Robert, yeah that was the work around I came up with too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

On a similar topic: Do you know how the temp path is generated? And how I can get at it? I want to store other files in the 'package' and then use a URL to open them up. But since the temp path is generated on the fly, I can't set the URL up correctly. Can you think of a some sort of path substitution I could do to get at these files?

Thanks for the help,

--Shawn