5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 11:35 AM by Steph Stanfield

Custom Geocodding Import Error

Valerie Lynch

I'm getting an error message when trying to import Custom Geocodes

"An error occured while communicating with data source 'City'

and the detail behind it is:

Firebird database error 335544373: operating system directive CreateFile failed

-The system cannot find the path specified.

I have changed rights on PC to full modify access but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

any ideas or solutions would be great!

• 1. Re: Custom Geocodding Import Error
          Steph Stanfield

Hi Valerie,

Have you been able to do this before, with any success? If not, which version of Firebird and Tableau are you using, and what's the operating system on your workstation?

Importing Custom Geocoding, by default, will write a file to your local repository. Try looking at the folder permissions for C:\Users\yourname\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Local Data (or C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\etc. on XP). Does the Firebird user have write access to that directory?

Let me know what you find out.

Good luck,

Steph

• 2. Re: Custom Geocodding Import Error
            Valerie Lynch

Hi Steph

Thanks for the ideas, I have full access to the Local Data folder when it appears in the repository. I using Tableau on a Networked maching in work and all users have read and create permissions.  Also the Local Data folder doesn't seem to be able to be created which I think is to do with the permissions on the Repository.

It's Tableau version 7 and Firebird 2.1.1 thats I'm using on Windows XP Professional.

I haven't managed to do this before but another team member had version 6 and upgraded to version 7 and it works on that machine. I installed version 7 only.

Thanks

Valerie

• 3. Re: Custom Geocodding Import Error
              Steph Stanfield

Valerie,

I'm not sure I can troubleshoot this without seeing what's going on. You may want to open a support ticket, as was recommended for a similar error here: http://community.tableau.com/thread/118483.

Good luck.

Steph

• 4. Re: Custom Geocodding Import Error
                Valerie Lynch

Hi Steph

Again thanks for the help. I managed to find a work around where we copied the data folder from Tableau Program Folder and the Local Data and Import folders in the Repository from another PC where it works and placed them onto my PC.

It works now but I just may not be able to update any changed myself

Thanks

Valerie

• 5. Re: Custom Geocodding Import Error
                  Steph Stanfield

Hi Valerie,

I'm glad that you got it working! Thanks for sharing the steps you took to fix it; that's what makes these forums so useful.

Have a good week,

Steph