6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 10:32 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions

Nayana Wagle

I am working on a dashboard that we have set to look properly sized in a 1024 * 768 resolution. Moving from "Exact" to "At least" in 1024 * 768 causes the charts to expand to occupy all available space - which is what we want. However, they seems to resize at will - some charts don't resize at all, in some charts, the legend becomes larger, in some, the graph area expands. Is there any way to lock the chart aspects in such a way that resizing will make all charts resize in tandem?

• 1. Re: Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions
          Shawn Wallwork

Nayana, the short answer is no. I just posted info on this issue that might give you some insights on how to handle resizing issues.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions
            Nayana Wagle

Thanks Shawn! Your answer was helpful. However, I cannot set the screen to "exact" - since one of my requirements is purely scalable graphs and no scroll bars either on the graphs or on the screen (except vertical ones).

One of my colleagues suggested that we should use layout containers. So right now, I'm using multiple layout containers on each dashboard, sizing them in a way that when it expands from 1024 * 768 all the way to 1600 * 900, only the graphs I want, would expand. It's working pretty decently.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions
              Shawn Wallwork

Nayana, would you post a sample workbook using the technique you're talking about? Use Super Store data if you need to. Thanks I'd really like to take a look.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions
                Nayana Wagle

Sure Shawn. But I'm going to need maybe a week or so. Hope that's ok? Thanks!

• 5. Re: Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions
                  Nayana Wagle

Hi Shawn,

Now that I've been working on the solution for a while, I have realized that the solution of using layout containers is not fool proof. It works enough that it gives you some control on it and I finally had to make it work with that.

The problem I was facing is that we have multiple graphs on the same dashboard and Tableau would scale them any way it desired. So in some cases, the legends would become larger than the chart and things like that. That was not acceptable to the client.

The workaround is that I put layout containers around all charts and made each layout container on the left to "fixed width".  Legends received the same treatment. I fixed the layout containers on the left to be fixed at 600. The layout containers on the right were free to expand. We specifically changed the chart order so that charts on the right were trend charts, time lines, etc. Whereas the ones on the left were static charts such as tables, pie charts, etc.

The dashboards were made "At least 1200 * 768". That way, at 1024 *768 resolution, there would be some screen scrolling, but not too much. At 1366 * 768 is the "optimized" view and at 1600 * 900, the right hand charts expand, but since we chose them to be charts where expansion only adds to clarity, it worked out decently.

Also, I worked in the 1600 * 900 resolution while creating the dashboard and checked to ensure a clean look at the lower resolutions. Not sure if this works the other way around. It should, but I don't want to be presumptive.

I can't attach my worksheet since it is confidential client info. But I am attaching a modified version of the sample Finance workbook based on the same principles. If you view it in various resolutions on your screen, you should be able to see what I mean. Hope that helps.

• 6. Re: Locking chart aspects to resize in tandem on higher screen resolutions
                    Shawn Wallwork

Nayana,

Thanks for sharing that trick. It has some potential. I'll work with it some more and see it scales. In the meantime if anyone else is going to test this be sure to close the file and re-open it after you change your screen resolution, otherwise Tableau get confused and produces this:

Finance.PNG

Not really a fair test, since most users don't change their screen rez. much.

--Shawn