4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 8:28 AM by ricky.dean

Help with colouring cells

So i have a few columns that contain percentages, and I wish to color the cells (for example, if over 90% cell goes red, if 80-89 cell goes blue, if below 80 cell goes green). Unfortunately I am as of yet unable to find a way to do this. Any help will be appreciated

Simply changing the font color of that particular cell would also be acceptable

Thanks

Rick

• 1. Re: Help with colouring cells
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Ricky,

A calculated field similar to the following can be created to get the desired outcome:

if sum([percentage measure])>=.9 then 'Red'

elseif sum([percentage measure])>=80 then 'Blue'

elseif sum([percentage measure])<80 then 'Green'

end

Then, place this calculation on the color shelf and edit the color legend to get the desired colors.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Help with colouring cells

Tracy, thanks for the reply

Unfortunately this won't work with my problem (I have already tried it), as when you use this method is changes the color of cells in the entire row. I have several columns I want to do this with in the same table, and I also have some columns that I don't want the color to change for, so I need a solution similar to this, but where it only colors only a single cell and not a row.

Thanks for the help

Rick

• 3. Re: Help with colouring cells
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Ricky,

A couple of ideas come to mind. One is to convert the measures that shouldn't change colors to discrete measures and place them on the view. Another idea would be to create several worksheets and place them all on a dashboard together so that it looks like 1 sheet. And yet another idea would be to use a work around similar to the one described by Jonathan here:

http://community.tableau.com/message/171852

Hope one of these helps a little bit!

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Help with colouring cells

Yeah, that's what I went with in the end (Jonathans workaround), found it like a week ago after a lot of googling!

Thanks for the help