5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 12:37 AM by Tamas Foldi

SAP BW and NetWeaver Portal Connection

Hi,

looking around I found the Olympic Games tableau at guardian.co.uk and I like the style and the possibilities of Tableau. They are very impressing. Now, I would like to ask some questions. Since we are looking for a BI solution we tried SAP BO Dashboards, formerly Xcelsius Dashboards. What I like about the tool is the connection with SAP BW and the integration to the NetWeaver Portal. So is it possible to do both with Tableau?

What I am looking for:

1. Connection to SAP BW BEx queries and/or InfoProvider. --> From the solutions section I learned this is possible.

2. Integration to the NW Portal. --> No answer yet.

3. "Live" connection to the BW. So the Tableau at the portal is always at the same update-level as the BW. --> No answer yet.

4. The usage of the SAP NW permissions. The manager using the Tableau at the portal should only see the data of his department. --> No answer yet.

5. Which program do I need exactly to get this things work? Is Tableau Desktop enough or does our enterprise need the Tableau Server solution?

Hopefully, someone can help me. BO Dashboards is ok, but Tableau seems to have more opportunities and is less laborious. From the looks I got it is comparable to the upcoming BO Design Studio.

Thank you and kind regards

Dirk

• 1. Re: SAP BW and NetWeaver Portal Connection
          Tracy Rodgers
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SAP BW and NetWeaver Portal Connection

Hi Tracy,

thank you for the links. I read through the interesting parts and will install Tableau Desktop and give it a try. Since the main feature of BO Dashboards for our enterprise is the integration to the SAP NW Portal can you tell me if this is possible with Tableau? I could not find a hint on this topic at the knowledge base or the product manuals. Maybe I should explain the purpose of our BI:

We use the NW Portal to support manager to do their work, especially in HR context. So, we would like to visualize HR relevant data like days of leave and so on. With BO Dashboard I can create a dashboard with a BW connection, so does Tableau, and can export this dashboard to the SAP system to create an iView in the SAP Portal. If a manager logs in to the Portal he sees the dashboard. For this, we need at the moment one developer of the dashboard, me, and around 500 users to display the dashboard to.

As far as I understand Tableau Desktop only exports to pdf and ppt. For getting web-access you use a Tableau Server to show the data across a company. Please tell me I am wrong. Tableau looks more sophisticated to me.

Again: Thanks.

• 3. Re: SAP BW and NetWeaver Portal Connection
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Dirk,

We have another product called Tableau Reader that is free for users and can be distributed among many people to show your reports. The issue, however, is that it can only be used with twbx (packaged workbooks--i.e. extracts) files and an extract cannot be taken with SAP. Therefore, the next best option would be Tableau Server. If you haven't already seen these, the following two links provide more information on both of these products:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/products/reader

http://www.tableausoftware.com/products/server

-Tracy

• 4. Re: SAP BW and NetWeaver Portal Connection
                andreas.krahofer

Hi Tracy, hi Dirk,

I found your post via google because we have exactly the same problem.

You wrote in your last post:

With BO Dashboard I can create a dashboard with a BW connection, so does Tableau, and can export this dashboard to the SAP system to create an iView in the SAP Portal. If a manager logs in to the Portal he sees the dashboard

Do you have an answer to the question? Did you try it? Is it possible to generate Tableau dashboards as SAP iViews and to integrate it into the SAP Enterprise Portal?

Thanks a lot for the answer.

• 5. Re: SAP BW and NetWeaver Portal Connection
                  Tamas Foldi

You definitely can integrate, but it will not as seamless as in case of BO. BO is a terrible product, but it could use SAP authentication and end-to-end SSO - what Tableau can not.

So the thing is, you can create SAP iViews from Tableau dashboards, but you have to develop a Tableau Trusted Authentication to SAP NW authentication translator, and even in this case you will prompted for SAP BW user or use a shared BW user for infoprovider access. So the embedding is easy but the authentication is not really, especially if you want to use the SAP roles for the cubes from the viewer user.

And of course you will still need Tableau's own applications servers, so your iViews will point to your tableau server. (However, if you are brave enough you can try to deploy tableau web services to netweaver, but that's a different story)