3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 7:51 AM by Pamela Germain

Can we set the center value in "Edit Color" dialog box dynamically

Anton Vijay

Hi Guys,

Need to dynamically set the Center value in "Edit Color" diverging color palette's.

Is it possible to make it?

Please find the attached screenshot for clarification.

• 1. Re: Can we set the center value in "Edit Color" dialog box dynamically
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Anton,

Tableau will automatically adjust the center value to be the midpoint between the two ends, unless otherwise specified. I would recommend adding this to the Ideas section if a more dynamic value is needed. If possible include a real life example so that the use case can be understood!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can we set the center value in "Edit Color" dialog box dynamically
            erik.lindsten

I want my values not to be set automatic, is there a way to get around this?

I have a bar chart with two measures (will always be so)

and I want one of them to be center like this

start: [Target]-1

center: [Target]

end: [Target]+1

or can I reach this in another way?

se attachmentCustomDiverging_measure.png

• 3. Re: Can we set the center value in "Edit Color" dialog box dynamically
              Pamela Germain

I am looking for a solution for this as well. Here is my scenario.

I have multiple departments and I want to create a heat map using diverging colors to track how many people were working at the hour of each day. So my axes are day of the week by hour of the day. I know that 2 times per day, shifts overlap and I have double the number of people working. This will skew my heat map to only show those 2 times per day as the strongest color at the top end and the rest at the bottom end. This is not of value as I want to see more nuances in between.

This is how it shows up normally. It does not really give me a clear idea of what the non-7:00 hours look like.

heat map standard.JPG

If I could dynamically change the center, to be off-set by say a percentage, or if I could move a slider that would be great. I need something dynamic because not every department has the same population of employees.

heat map center.JPG

Visually, this is a better indication of what is going on. (The color is not so important for this example as the ability to see finer differences among the non-7:00 times.)

heat map new.JPG