6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 7:51 AM by John Cantu

What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?

John Cantu

Hi-

What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process responsible for? I take it that is the "Data Server" process in Tableau Server Configuration?

The past few weeks, tdserver64.exe process has consumed the vast majority of CPU, which has negatively impacted server performance. Reports won't render, users aren't able to publish reports, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?

The TDE is our in-house column store database. We use it for extracts of data and when we need high performance data crunching. It is a relational store, but it speaks its own language called TQL (Tableau Query Language).

The activity you see is by design - e.g. TDE will use all available resources to render as fast as possible.  It then releases those resources as soon as the tasks fed to it are fulfilled.  If you are experiencing a significant slowdown, I would recommend looking at what your users are asking the server to do.  To perform a massive extraction and produce large reports at the same time sounds like an ideal candidate for hosting TDE on it's own machine.  Again, the utilization curve is by design - we want your data into and out of the server process as quickly as possible.  If you feel that your utilization is not normal, please file a case with Technical support.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?
            John Cantu

Thanks, Joe, for the reply.

So when you say that TDE is used for extracts of data, is that related to tasks that have been scheduled? We recommended to our users to utilize extracts rather than live data connections since that vast majority of our queries are against data warehouse; thus, we wanted to avoid poor query performance. More and more small and large extract refreshes are being scheduled throughout the day. At this time, I only have 1 Background worker to handle the background tasks.

Becuase of the peformance of Tableau the past few weeks, we will start looking at distributed environment. My thoughts are that Background Tasks (extract refreshes) and Browsing & Searching are priorties. What would you recommened for TDE if that's the case?

Thanks!

John

• 3. Re: What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?

John,

TDE is used for a great many things, and I am certain more to come.  But yes, extracts of all sorts are dealt with in that environment.  Given the information you presented, I think that a distributed environment is definitely the way to go for you.  So, having said that, I really can't recommend specific hardware.  I am certain, however, that you are in the right place to get loads of opinions on how Tableau users have successfully deployed in a distributed environment.

• 4. Re: What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?
                John Cantu

Hey Joe,

Not so much looking for recommendation on specific hardware, but rather if we do transition to a distributed environment, and Background Tasks and Browsing & Searching are our priorities, does it make more sense to move Background and Data Services workers away from primary server?

Also, are you able to comment on one of my other posts:

http://community.tableau.com/thread/119093

Appreciate you, Joe!

• 5. Re: What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?

John,

I think you will get greater mileage out of taking that later course - e.g. moving Background and Data Services workers away from primary server.  Given the large amount fo traffic that passes through both of these servers, you would get a better ROI I think.

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: What exactly is the tdserver64.exe process?
                    John Cantu

Thank you, Joe, for all your feedback! Greatly appreciated.