7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 1:35 PM by Dan Huff

How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?

Minh Nguyen

Hello all,

I have a question that I cannot figure it out.

For example, we use the Superstore data and I created a filled map of states in US with SUM([Sales]) as label. Now how I can do like this:

If I click on one state in the filled map, it also highlights other states (different color) where they have higher total sales than the selected one.

It would be great if someone can help me in detail with this.

Thank you all,

Minh

• 1. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Minh,

To get the states with similar values to be highlighted, create a calculated field similar to the following and place it on the color shelf:

if sum(Sales)>700000 then 'great'

elseif sum(Sales)>500000 then 'good'

elseif sum(Sales)>300000 then 'OK'

elseif sum(Sales)>100000 then 'Eh'

else 'Not Good'

end

Then, on the color legend, select one of the colors and only those states will be highlighted.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
            Minh Nguyen

Hi Tracy,

Thanks but It is not really what I am looking for since you grouped them in some color.

In that example, I clicked on Texas with profit of 52K, how the map can show other states where they have more than 52K of profit. If I click on other state, it shows up different states with the above condition?

Many thanks,

Minh

• 3. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
              Dan Huff

Minh--

Here is an example achieving something close to what you have mentioned. If you select a state on the drop-down, the only states that will appear on the map are those with profit higher than the profit of the selected state. You can also use the quick filter to toggle between Above, Below, and Equal.

Let me know if this is not what you were looking for in some way.

Thanks,

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
                Minh Nguyen

Thanks Dan. It was very helpful indeed.

Your solution got want I want by choosing in the menu option. However, I am still wondering if we can actually do that on the map itself?

By the way, do you know how can we do similar problem for only neighboring states (not just any state)? How do we setup the data structure?

Many thanks,

Minh

• 5. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
                  Dan Huff

Minh--

Selecting on the map:

I suspect that this is not possible because there is no way that I know of to get the value of profit of a state simply by selecting it on a map. This is likely the best solution to the issue. If you need to have this map on a dashboard, you should just add a Text Object to instruct your users to use the drop-down list to select the state they wish to compare.

Neighboring states:

What is it that you expect to happen here? For example, if I were to select Washington from the drop-down list, what states would you expect to show up?

• 6. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
                    Minh Nguyen

Dan,

Thanks. I guess the instruction might be needed to guide user to select state from the drop-down list.

For the Neighboring states, if I selected Washington from the drop-down list (profit is 41K), and the condition is Above, then the highlighted state should be Oregon (profit is 45K). With the Below condition (profit), then the state would be Idaho (15K profit) since Neighboring states of Washington are Oregon and Idaho.

Thanks,

Minh

• 7. Re: How to highlight some states in filled map with certain conditions?
                      Dan Huff

I do not think I can make this behavior happen as there is no measure in the data that we can leverage that dictates that Oregon and Idaho are "close" to Washington. Without some sort of relationship established in the data, I think this would be impossible. For that matter, I am not certain I have an idea as to how one could implement this relationship in the data itself.

As you have likely realized, we are not strictly a mapping tool. Though we do have developers building out this functionality, geospatial analyses are often not as easily accomplished compared to other analyses. I am sorry I cannot be of much help on this use case Minh.

I hope the examples that we have shared thus far has been helpful.

Thanks,

Dan