13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 9:11 AM by Brian Delehanty

"Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error

Jeff Ferris

Hi All,

I have been researching this error, and everyone else's experience with the error seems to be due to hidden fileds that get orphaned and need to be deleted in the xml.  I checked my xml and there are no hidden fields. 

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of this error in a workbook? I get the the error when the extract runs as a background process on the server.  I also get the error on the desktop when I run "View Data..." on the published data source within Tableau desktop, 

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
          Emiliano Colosimo

Hi Jeff,

Which version are you using? Are you using a custom date?

Creating a view with a custom date that used the M/D/Y format, could cause the error "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source." when the field is made continuous. This type of custom date can only be viewed as a discrete dimension and the application and Show Me! have been updated to enforce that.

There is a fix for this error in 7.0.4:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/releases

• 2. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
            Vinay Bhat

I'm getting a similar error, when trying to publish a view that draws from SQL Server 2008. There is no custom date field; I had hidden a number of surrogate key values (it's coming from a set of joined data warehouse tables), but after reading about some other people's issues, I unhid those. I'm also on Tableau Server 7.0.7 ...

And just for reference, here's the message I'm getting, with the same yes/no query afterwards:

"Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source."

• 3. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
              Jeff Ferris

Hi Emiliano,

I was eventually able to get around this issue by recreating and publishing the data source.  For the record, I was on 7.0.6

Thanks,

Jeff

• 4. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                Josh Ross

I found that if you have a measure with a calculated field, that contains the formula: previous_value(1), then you cannot refresh an extract from a Microsoft SQL Server table.

Once I remove the formula the refresh works. I can reproduce this error 100% of the time on Tableau 8.0

Steps to reproduce:

1) Connect live to a SQL table.

2) Add a measure with the formula: previous_value(1)

3) try to create an extract.

• 5. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                  chris.schultz

I am getting this same error while trying to connect to views published in Composite Information Server.  I am using the generic ODBC connection type in Tableau Desktop and have received the error in both versions 8.04 and 8.1 Beta1.

• 6. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                    Michael Crow

I am also getting an error with trying to refresh a SQL Server extract, but with a different table calculation: window_sum. The calculated field was not hidden, nor was it depending upon secondary data sources or exhibiting any kind of error. Luckily I discovered it. But it is strange behavior.

• 7. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                      Ryan Lui

I got this error   'Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source'

very frequently (like everytime I load a dashboard thru my browser or re-load a tab in my desktop)

since my company has our Tableau Server updated to 9.

The data source that we are using is EXAsol5. However, it should not matter because

we use Tableau Extracted data source so we do the daily data-refresh.

In those dashboards, there are no hidden fields (potential reason from the other contributors of this thread), no data blending since we use a single Tableau Extracted Data Source

=> no Primary/Secondary data source issue,

we still get this error but we still get some data returned.

I wonder if this is due to the v9 upgrade since we don't have such error when we use v8.2.

Now, we get this error from a browser and from Desktop.

Does anyone have the similar experience ? And can share how they fix this issue.

thanks & appreciate it.

• 8. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                        David Pires

I'm also getting this error and getting some data. Live connection to SQL no calculations and no blending.

David

• 9. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                          Jonathan Drummey

First of all, I do strongly suspect there's a bug (or at least a poorly designed bit of functionality) somewhere in this code because of the number of times I see this error. There seem to be several different possible causes: using a function that isn't supported (which can be extra confusing because some functions are supported in live connections but not in extracts and vice versa), using certain blended calculations (calculated fields that reference other data sources), something about order of operations between creating a calc and extract refreshes, and maybe more?

Sometimes the problem is definitely on me for trying to do something that Tableau can't do. One (time consuming) way to deal with this is to make an initial connection to the data source then add your calculated fields one at a time and then refreshing the extract (if you are using one), the view, or View Data (since View Data tries to compute everything but table calcs at a record level it can end up throwing errors, this can be a lot faster to help debug than having to refresh an extract).

Once you find the offending calculation(s) you might be able to remove them or modify them. For example, earlier in this thread there was a problem with using PREVIOUS_VALUE(1) in a calc. I suspect using PREVIOUS_VALUE(MIN(1)) would be ok, if you're dealing with a densified view then IF FIRST()==0 THEN 1 ELSE PREVIOUS_VALUE(1) END would work. This is because 1 is treated as a constant, MIN(1) is a measure, and PV can have some strange behavior when it comes to constants.

In any case, please do notify Tableau tech support.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                            David Pires

Thanks Jonathan Drummey I've already logged this as an issue.

Funny enough it only happens on filters and only on the dashboard on the actual sheet the error doesn't pop up.

My way around it was to create a new dashboard and add the sheets in. Then delete the old dashboard seems to have done the trick, mu it is definitely something that Tableau needs to investigate.

David

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                              Manali Muley

We had a similar issue, and in our case it was stemming from a table calculation. The error was only popping up on the dashboard which also had action filters from other sheets. The issue was that the  table calculation was exposed a filter on the dashboard. Since table calculations are computed only after the data has been fetched in the view, and clicking on other worksheets or changing filters on dashboard causes the view to be re-computed, it cannot seem to find the table calculation upfront. To get around the issue, the solution that worked was to create a  calculated field (In this case it was a RANK function on a measure) , and add the measure to the worksheet, and use that instead of the table calculation that only existed on the worksheet.

• 12. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                                parikshit.shinge

Hi,

I was getting the same error.

I had brought 3 tables in tableau and inner joined them. I had used some fields to create some calculated fields but later I needed to remove the other two tables and keep only one table to increase the performance. I removed the two tables and after that I was getting this error "Invalid filed formula due to limitation in the data source" because I hadn't corrected/removed the calculated fields that were using the fields from other (deleted) two tables.

I just removed those calculated fields and now I don't get that error anymore.

• 13. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" error
                                  Brian Delehanty

Hopefully everyone has found a solution through upgrading to this, but I recently resolved this issue by changing a parameter I had created from Integer to Float. I find that I find a lot of issues with Tableau if I denote a field as Integer.