3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 8:32 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Mixing numeric formats in a single view text table?

Charles Firkins

Is there a way to mix the displayed numeric formats (by column) in a text table view?  I have a column that is Currency, one that is a simple number (no decimals and comma separator) and one that is a %.  I'd really prefer to keep it as one detailed table vs several different ones . . .

• 1. Re: Mixing numeric formats in a single view text table?
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Charles,

Assuming that each column is a different measure, you can right-click on the measure's pill in the view and select Format... to format the numbers. You can also set a default format by right-clicking on the measure in the Measures window on the left and choosing Format... there.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mixing numeric formats in a single view text table?
            Charles Firkins

Jonathan,

I was able to right click on the measure name in the "Measure Values" card to get something to work.  I am unfamilar with the term "pill".  When I right click in on the actual text in the table I get a "Format Measure Names" dialog on the left screen side with two tabs - "Header" and "Pane".  When I change the number formating there it changes everything in the table.

As a follow up - can I set each column width individually?  I can get all the columns to be the same, though that give a lot of white space for the columns with only 3 digits vs the ones with 8.

Charles

• 3. Re: Mixing numeric formats in a single view text table?
              Jonathan Drummey

Hi Charles,

Right-clicking on the measure name on the Measure Values Card is exactly what I meant, here's a labeled screenshot to help explain things:

screenshot1.jpg

In terms of resizing columns, Tableau enforces a number of best practices in visualizations. One of those is having columns be the same width, because this enhances readability, most of the time. However, this sometimes introduces too much white space.

If you really want to resize those columns, there is a workaround, you can add the measure as discrete (blue pills) onto the Rows axis. The remaining Abc text can be removed by:

1. Go to Format->Borders and set the Column Divider->Pane to None.

2. Click on an Abc.

3. On the Marks card, click on the the Color drop-down and set the Transparency to 0%.

4. In the view, drag the Abc column to make it as small as possible.

Cheers,

Jonathan