3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 4:33 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Linear report in Tableue (changing the crosstab view)

I want to generate a linear report using tableau desktop. It should not be like a crosstab, there will not be any measurement value in the report. Can anyone assist how to achieve this in Tableau? Tableau is by default giving us the crosstab view, and I am unable to change it.

• 1. Re: Linear report in Tableue (changing the crosstab view)
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Rapti,

I'm not sure what you mean by a "linear report", can you provide a mockup of what you are looking for?

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Linear report in Tableue (changing the crosstab view)

Hi Jonathan,

What I was looking for is a tabular report, which will have no measures to do any analysis. Say, there is a table in database with 4-5 columns, all are dimensions. I need to show it in a Tableau report with directly. If I select all the fields in the report, the report is always in crosstab format and report will have an extra column in the right with values 'Abc' written in it. I want to remove that from my report. How to do that Tableau?

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Linear report in Tableue (changing the crosstab view)
              Jonathan Drummey
              Hi Rapti,
              I'm not sure whether you are asking whether to change the crosstab into a text table, here's how to do that: You can create a set of all the needed dimensions, put that as the left-most pill in the view, then click on the pill to turn off Show Header.
              Now, to get rid of the Abc row in four steps:
              1. Go to Format->Borders and set the Column Divider->Pane to None.
              2. Click on an Abc.
              3. On the Marks card, click on the the Color drop-down and set the Transparency to 0%.
              4. In the view, drag the Abc column to make it as small as possible.
              In Tableau, you will still see vertical dividers for the drop zone to add a measure, there's nothing we can do about that. You won't see them in Tableau Server, PDF output, or exported images.
              Example workbook is attached.
              Cheers,
              Jonathan