2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 10:49 AM by Brian Smith

Do extracts perform better than ODBC connections?

Brian Smith

I have a client who wishes to build visualizations over a large data set. (How large is still up for debate, but it is likely to be about 1 million rows.) When dealing with data sets of that size, is a Tableau data extract a feasible choice? If so, would an extract perform better than an ODBC connection to a Teradata db?

• 1. Re: Do extracts perform better than ODBC connections?
          Robert Morton

Hi Brian,

The Tableau Data Engine can  certainly handle extracts of this size, and depending on the type of data you may find that Tableau performs better with Data Engine extracts than it does with the underlying database. However I'll point out that Teradata installations are typically very fast (though you can buy archive-oriented warehouses which don't perform as well). You will likely find that working with our first-class connector to Teradata yields such a good experience that you won't typically need to create extracts.

-Robert

• 2. Re: Do extracts perform better than ODBC connections?
            Brian Smith

Thanks, Robert. I don't really see you coming down firmly on one side or the other, but it's good to know that both methods can be effective -- so we will probably stick with the Teradata connection. I appreciate your help!