1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2012 4:00 PM by Tracy Rodgers

How to create chart for one variable, broken down by multiple characteristics

Hello,

I am an Excel user who is new to Tableau. Was wondering if anyone can tell me how to recreate the attached type of dashboard/chart in Tableau. These charts were made in Excel. Basically, each chart displays a health outcome that is broken down by multiple demographic groups: race, age, etc. I don't know how to get Tableau to do this and would appreciate any help.

What I would like to ultimately create is an interactive dashboard where the user can select the outcome that they want to view. So, the demographic groups (e.g., x-axis) will stay the same and the y-axis will change according to the outcome selected. Let me know if anyone needs any clarifications. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Sample Excel to Tableau.JPG

• 1. Re: How to create chart for one variable, broken down by multiple characteristics
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Sarah,

It kind of depends how your data is set up. However, parameters can be used to control what measure is being used and the range of the axis. For example, a string parameter could be created with the following names:

Sales

Profit

Discount

Then, a calculated field would be created referencing the above parameter:

case [Parameter]

when 'Sales' then sum([Sales])

when 'Profit' then sum([Profit])

when 'Discount' then avg([Discount])

end

Then, place the dimension on the Columns shelf, and the newly created calculation on the rows shelf. Then, right click on the parameter and select Show Parameter Control. Hope this helps!

-Tracy